Receiving Accommodations

Steps Involved for Receiving Accommodations from ODS

1. Disclose your disability to the Office of Disability Services. This can be done by contacting the Director  (Learning Commons (814) 332-2898;  Every student admitted to Allegheny by the Office of Admissions will receive a Self-Disclosure for Disability Form with his or her admittance packet. Students who would like to disclose a disability should fill this form out and return it to the Learning Commons. Though it is best to disclose a disability prior to admission, students may disclose a disability at any point during their time at Allegheny.

2. After the student has disclosed a disability, Disability Services will give or mail that student information regarding the appropriate documentation that is needed to verify a disability and to qualify for services.

3. We will review the documentation and determine the following:

  • Does the student’s condition rise to the level of a disability as defined in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act?
  • What are the functional limitations of the disability in an educational setting?
  • What, if any, accommodations would be reasonable and appropriate for the student?

4. We will notify you as to whether the documentation submitted is sufficient or if more information is needed.

5.  The Director will meet with the student if the student would like to receive accommodations.

6. If the student would like to receive accommodations, ODS will produce letters for the student to give to his or her professors. These letters will verify the disability and list reasonable accommodations.

7. It is then the student’s responsibility to deliver these letters to his or her professors and discuss the listed accommodations with the professors.

8. If a student has problems relative to the provision of accommodations, the student should contact the Office of Disability Services.

9. In subsequent semesters, the student needs to contact ODS  if s/he would like to have letters for his or her professors. ODS will not assume that the student will need these letters.