#OneYearOut with Celena Turiano ’18

Celena Turino '18
Celena Turino ’18

This interview is one of a series conducted by the Center for Business and Economics Fellows with recent Business & Economics graduates about life after graduation.

This interview was conducted during the Spring 2019 semester by CBE Fellow, Jack Goodman ’19 with recent graduate, Celena Turiano ’18.

Jack: Where are you currently employed? — How did you hear about this position?

Celena: PNC Bank in the Greater Washington D.C. Area — I heard about the position through Allegheny Career Education as PNC came to campus to recruit prospective associates.

Jack:  What do you do on a day to day basis?

Celena: At PNC I am a Retail Banking Development Program Associate where over an 18 month period I have the opportunity to grow my skills and knowledge of the retail banking industry which will prepare me for a career in branch management or business banking. My day to day role includes experiential learning opportunities such as servicing clients to provide financial solutions as well as shadow partners in mortgage, investment, business banking and wealth management.

Jack: How did Allegheny help prepare for your current job?

Celena: Overall Allegheny has provided me with knowledge and quantitative skills, but the opportunity I had to develop soft skills to build and maintain relationships with professors, alumni, community members, and peers have added value to my everyday interactions with colleagues, clients and the community where I now reside. The leadership and communication skills I acquired through extracurricular activities at Allegheny provided me the skills to lead and connect with a team. Lastly, the Economics senior comp improved my time management skills. The ability to manage multiple priorities and perform well under pressure has been vital.

Jack: What advice would you give to current Allegheny students? 

Celena: My advice to currently Allegheny students is to be yourself and believe in yourself. You may be presented with challenging opportunities, but embrace and learn from every experience because that is how you will grow and evolve.