Each year, the Business & Economics faculty and staff meet to choose the students who will earn these annual awards. Having worked all year with so many excellent students, it is a nearly impossible task.
It is our distinct pleasure as a department to congratulate our 2021 award winners for their hard work and commitment to the study of Business & Economics:
- The Prize of the Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants awarded for excellence in accounting studies: Owen M. Harkins ‘21.
- The Economics Senior Project Prize, a monetary gift for the best senior project assigned annually by the Department of Economics to encourage understanding and good scholarship: Alex Abadi ‘21.
- The Graduate Student’s Prize in Economics, an annual prize to a senior whose achievement has been outstanding and whose promise as a graduate student is substantial: Kirsten D. Lashbrook ‘21.
- The Outstanding Achievement Prize in Economics, awarded to a senior with an outstanding record in economics and for general contributions to the vitality of the department: Alex Abadi ‘21 and Rachel Tobler ‘21.
- The John L. Porter Prize, an award jointly assigned by the Department of Political Science and the Department of Economics to recognize a student who has written the best thesis on a topic of political economy: Victoria Vradenburg ‘21.
- The Outstanding Junior Major Prize, awarded for exceptional academic achievement, performance in the seminar, and contribution to the general life of the department: Maya Ginter-Frankovitch ‘22
At the Bruce R. Thompson Center for Business and Economics, students may choose to pursue a major in economics or business with each course of study applying the rigor of a strong background in economic theory with the added benefit of interdisciplinary course work that allows students to create a concentration that matches their personal interests. Like many related disciplines in a liberal arts curriculum, Business and Economics emphasizes oral, written, and quantitative methods in courses and seminars.