CBE Summer Experiences with Megan Dennis ’23

Megan Dennis hard at work certificate stacking over the summer

Megan Dennis ’23 was all set to study away this summer when plans went awry at the last minute, so what did our indefatigable CBE Fellow do next?  Certificate stacking! “I focused on personal development, which included learning to code using R through Data Camp and completing certificates in data visualization and international marketing,” Dennis reported.

Megan, tell us more…

How did you find these opportunities?

Megan: “I found Data Camp by talking with my mentor; she had used the site and highly recommended it to me. After using Data Camp this summer, I definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to start learning about coding. The site does a great job offering a variety of courses and certificates and presents the information in an easily digestive way and allows practice alongside it.”

What did you learn?

Megan:  “It really helped me strengthen my data analysis skills and broaden my perspective on how data can be leveraged to make better business decisions. I will be incorporating my new skills and knowledge into my senior research project.”

Would you recommend this strategy to another student?

Megan: “After using DataCamp this summer, I definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to start learning about coding. The site does a great job offering a variety of courses and certificates and presents the information in an easily digestive way and allows you to practice alongside it. My advice to others looking to gain or sharpen their technical skills is to just get started and try to find time to code every day, even if it’s just 15 minutes! ”

Megan Dennis is an International Studies and Business major, schedule to graduate in 2024.  She is a CBE Fellow and belongs to Lambda Sigma, the International Club and the volleyball club team.  She serves as the President of the Chinese American Friendship Society (CAFS).  This summer, she earned certificates in Data Visualization, Intro to International Marketing, International B2B Marketing, International Market Entry and Execution, International Entertainment and Sports Marketing, and Social and Behavioral Research.

Allegheny’s Business major is designed to help students gain a deep knowledge of the managerial and business concepts typically used by the business and non-profit world. International Studies is an interdivisional, liberal arts program that endeavors to develop and relate those analytical skills most appropriate for the examination of increasingly complex interactions among nations and regions of the world. The program also focuses on the tools, skills, and competencies needed to solve practical problems faced by organizations. The  business majors from Allegheny will graduate with a strong liberal arts background enabling them to learn how they can use their financial success to serve humanity, make a difference in people’s lives and leave a legacy of success and service. Every business major is expected to engage in a mentored experiential learning project or activity – this may be satisfied by a study abroad program or an internship that exposes the student to cultural, civic engagement and global issues.