(F) Additional Information and Terms

FULL COURSE OF STUDY: If you cannot be enrolled full-time (12 credits for undergraduates), you must receive authorization/permission from the Principal Designated School Official in the IO in advance. You and your academic advisor must complete the IO/Dean of Students form, “Request for Authorization to Drop Below Full-Time Enrollment,” and submit it to the IO prior to registering for less than full-time or prior to dropping below full-time.

Remember that your “full-load” at Allegheny is 16 credits per semester; that is, in order to graduate in 4 years, you need to complete an average of 16 credits per semester, even though “full-time” for federal requirements is 12 credits/semester.

EMPLOYMENT: You are NOT allowed to work in the United States without authorization. F-1 students are allowed to work on campus up to 20 hours per week when school is in session. However, Allegheny’s financial aid package usually provides only 10-15 hours of work.

CHANGE OF ADDRESS: IMPORTANT!! You must report any change of address or residence and/or any change of name directly to the International Office on Form AR-11 within 10 days of the change. The IO will then electronically notify USICE of the change, via SEVIS, within 21 days, as required by the new regulations.

PASSPORT: You must maintain a valid passport at all times, unless exempt from passport requirements.

TRANSFER TO ANOTHER SCHOOL: You must notify the International Office of your intent to transfer, obtain a Form I-20 from the new institution, and report to the Designated School Official at the new school within 15 days of the program start date listed on the Form I-20.

PROGRAM EXTENSION: You must apply for an extension of your program of study prior to the expiration date on your Form I-20 if you cannot complete your program by that date. F-1 students must make an appointment with the Director of the IO to begin the extension process 30-60 days prior to the expiration date of the Form I-20, so the extension can be completed prior to the expiration date on the document.

TRAVEL: You must notify the IO prior to traveling outside the U.S. so that your I-20 can be endorsed for travel or a new form can be issued, if required. Students must allow at least 1 week PRIOR to the travel date in order for the form to be endorsed or a new one to be issued. Due to SEVIS operations, we cannot guarantee that forms that are submitted less than one week prior to travel can be endorsed or new ones issued.

DEPENDENTS: You must notify the IO of any accompanying dependents in F-2 status and provide biographical information (e.g., full name, address, country of birth) and immigration information (e.g., passport information, visa information) regarding those dependents using the IO “Dependent Information Form.” The IO is required to report information to USICE regarding your dependents.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This information is not exhaustive and is subject to change without notice. International students and scholars should contact the International Office at 814/332.4891 to arrange an appointment to discuss any questions or concerns related to your legal status in the United States.

Legal immigration status can be jeopardized if proper procedures are not followed, so it is always best to consult with the International Student Advisor in matters of immigration before taking any action.

We would like to thank Mary Lee Carter, President, International Student/Scholar Resources, Phoenix, AZ, (mcarter01@cox.net) for advice and comments for this handout.

Portions of the section on visa application were produced by NAFSA: Association of International Educators. NAFSA would like to credit Gerald A. Wunsch , Esq., 1997, then a member of the Consular Issues Working Group, and a former U.S. Consular Officer in Mexico, Suriname, and the Netherlands and Martha Wailes of Indiana University for their contributions to this document. NAFSA also appreciates the input of the U.S. Department of State.