(D) Travel Abroad and Re-Entry

In order to re-enter the U.S., you must have a valid passport; a current, validated DS-2019; and a valid J-1 visa. The validating signature at the bottom of the first page of your DS-2019 is officially valid for one year, but it is STRONGLY recommended that you have it validated each semester. J-1 visitors needing a new signature/form for travel should bring their DS-2019 to the International Office at least one week PRIOR to departure.

Exception: Students traveling to Canada, Mexico, or adjacent islands (excluding Cuba) are not expected to surrender their I-94 cards if they plan to re-enter the U.S. within the 30-day time frame. Students may re-enter the country after a trip of 30 days or fewer, provided they have the above- mentioned documents. Once within the borders of the U.S., if your J-1 visa has expired, and you plan to go to Canada, Mexico or one of the Caribbean islands (other than Cuba), it will not be necessary to apply for a new visa to re-enter the U.S. It is always advisable that exchange visitors talk to the International Student Advisor before traveling outside the U.S.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Terms to Know and Processes to Remember

EMPLOYMENT: You are NOT allowed to work in the United States without authorization. J-1 students might be allowed to work on campus up to 20 hours per week when school is in session (check with the Financial Aid 38 Office). Other exchange visitors have authorization through the exchange program to work on campus.

CHANGE OF ADDRESS: IMPORTANT!! You must report any change of address or residence and/or any change of name directly to the International Office on Form AR-11 within 10 days of the change. The IO will then electronically notify USICE of the change, via SEVIS, within 21 days, as required by the new regulations.

PASSPORT: You must maintain a valid passport at all times, unless exempt from passport requirements.

TRANSFER TO ANOTHER SCHOOL: You must notify the International Office of your intent to transfer, obtain a release from your Allegheny departmental sponsor, obtain a DS-2019 from the new institution, and report to the Responsible Officer at the new school within 15 days of the program start date listed on the DS-2019.

PROGRAM EXTENSION: You must apply for an extension of your exchange program prior to the expiration date on your DS-2019 if you cannot complete your program by that date, or want to extend your program. You must make an appointment with the Director of the IO to begin the extension process 30-60 days prior to the expiration date of the DS-2019, so the extension can be completed prior to the expiration date on the document.

TRAVEL: You must notify the IO prior to traveling outside the U.S. so that your DS-2019 can be endorsed for travel or a new form can be issued, if required. Students must allow at least 1 week PRIOR to the travel date in order for the form to be endorsed or a new one to be issued. Due to SEVIS operations, we cannot guarantee that forms that are submitted less than one week prior to travel can be endorsed or new ones issued.

DEPENDENTS: You must notify the IO of any accompanying dependents in J-2 status and provide biographical information (e.g., full name, address, country of birth) and immigration information (e.g., passport information, visa information) regarding those dependents using the IO “Dependent Information Form.” The IO is required to report information to USICE regarding your dependents.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This information is not exhaustive and is subject to change without notice. International students and scholars should contact the International Office at 814/332.4891 to arrange an appointment to discuss any questions or concerns related to your legal status in the United States. Legal immigration status can be jeopardized if proper procedures are not followed, so it is always best to consult with the International Student Advisor in matters of immigration before taking any action.

Acknowledgements and contributions to this information: Mary Lee Carter, President, International Student/Scholar Resources, Phoenix, AZ, (mcarter01@cox.net)

NAFSA: Association of International Educators with credit to Gerald A. Wunsch , Esq., 1997, and the U.S. Department of State.