Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between the Health Center Fee and Student Health Insurance? Do Allegheny students have to pay a fee for service to be seen at the Health Center?

Allegheny enrolls and pays the premium of United Healthcare Insurance for students who do not decline coverage. That premium (around $1,600) is added as an insurance fee on each student fall semester tuition statement only. For more information about the Student Health Insurance please visit this web-page or contact the Financial Services Office. Services rendered at Winslow Health Center are covered under the $250 per Academic Year (billed $125 on each semester tuition statement.) Everything done at Winslow will not be billed against insurance. Students may borrow crutches and nebulizers at no charge, as long as they are returned in good condition. The only times insurance would be billed is if we had to send you for outside testing such as blood work, radiology (x-ray, MRI, CT, etc.), specialist appointments, etc., or if you needed emergency care at the local hospital, Meadville Medical Center. You can see more about the services provided at Winslow on our web-page here.

What information should students have to expedite the delivery of health care while at Allegheny?

It is very important that every Allegheny student has a current health insurance card or a copy of it in their wallet. They should also have a copy of their prescription plan card if you have a prescription plan. They should know if they have to call for referrals, and they should be familiar with which drugstores in the Meadville area will accept their plan. Often, students are not aware of whether they need referrals, who their PCP is, or whether they have prescription coverage. This can significantly delay treatment. Students that are covered by their home states Medicaid will not be covered in Pennsylvania. It is advised that they purchase the Allegheny United Health Care Plan or find another private insurance that will cover them while at Allegheny.

What additional information should be provided to the Health Center?

Immunization updates should be mailed, faxed, or emailed to the Health Center. Information regarding changes in medical insurance coverage, newly developed drug allergies, recent surgeries, medical conditions, etc. should be updated as soon as possible.

What should be done if an Allegheny student has an ongoing prescription for medication?

The student should bring enough medication to last for a semester. Another option is for parents to mail the medication to the student each month. For example, a student who takes controlled medications such as Ritalin should make arrangements prior to coming to campus, so that the medication can be sent from home. If this is not possible, prior to attending Allegheny the student should obtain a referral to a physician in the Meadville area who agrees to prescribe the medication.

I need to have my medication sent to the Health Center - what are my options?

If your home pharmacy is able and willing to send the medication directly to the Health Center, our address for UPS and Fed-Ex is Winslow Health Center, 549 Park Ave., Meadville, PA 16335 and for USPS Allegheny College, Winslow Health Center Box 26, 520 North Main Street, Meadville, PA 16335. If your Primary Care Provider (PCP) needs to send your prescription to a Meadville pharmacy, there are several close to campus including CVS and Walgreens.

What if an Allegheny student requires ongoing specialized medical care or counseling?

It is the student’s responsibility to contact the Health Center or Counseling & Personal Development Center if assistance is needed to make these arrangements. This should be done as soon as possible prior to the beginning of the school year because some specialists in the area may not have an appointment available for several months.

If a student is ill, are excuses from classes issued?

As of the 2020/21 Academic Year, we do not provide excuses or proof of visit forms for short term illness or injury (stomach flu, migraines, colds, sinus infections, sprains, etc.). This policy is consistent with recommendations from the American College Health Association, as well as the policies of other peer institutions. An absence from class is an administrative matter, not a medical one, and the resolution of this matter is between faculty and students. It is the student’s responsibility to communicate directly with the faculty regarding conditions that may interfere with attendance, and any decision about the impact of that absence rests with the faculty.

Does the Health Center offer allergy injections?

Yes. Allergy injections are given during physician hours and by appointment only. We store the serum at the Health Center. The student should bring complete administration instructions and a deviation schedule in case an injection is overdue. Students receiving allergy injections must remain at the Health Center 20 minutes (or more if required by their allergist) post-injection. Students requiring allergy injections should call WHC to discuss appointment options as soon as possible.

What should a student do if illness occurs when the Health Center is closed?

If a student becomes ill while the Health Center is closed and requires medical treatment, the student should go to one of the local Urgent Care facilities in Meadville. For emergencies, the student should call 911 or go directly to Meadville Medical Center Emergency Department, which is less than a mile from campus. Transportation, when available, is arranged through the Public Safety Office by calling (814) 332-3357. For more information on after-hours care, please visit our webpage here.

Does the Health Center offer travel physicals for students?

Winslow Health Center does not provide any physical examinations required for study or travel outside the United States. These types of physicals must be completed by one’s primary care provider, as they are most familiar with your health history and capacity to undergo the physical and mental stress that may be associated with this travel. In addition, we do not have the travel medicine that is often required for travel outside the US, such as injections like Hepatitis A and other blood work that is recommended by the Centers for Disease Control. Students wishing to travel outside the US through Allegheny should make their plans well in advance – three to six months – and work closely with the International Education Office and their primary care provider.

I need my immunization or other health records - how can I get them from the Health Center?

Winslow Health Center keeps records for 10 years post-graduation only (PA State Law requires 7 years – 10 year policy subject to change without notice). Any current or former student requesting health information is required to fill out the Authorization to Release Health Information and submit it to the Health Center via mail, fax, or email. Once received, WHC has 30-days to complete the request, per the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). If you are outside the 10 year window and need immunization records, WHC suggests researching the options listed on the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) web-page article “Vaccine Information for Adults.” 

I am a Canadian student coming to Allegheny. Why is there an issue with my Hepatitis B vaccinations?

In Canada, if you are not born in a “High Risk Area” or if your birth mother is Hepatitis B negative, you are not vaccinated at birth for Hepatitis B. Therefore, many Canadian children only receive 2 doses of the vaccination later in life. The CDC and the Pennsylvania Department of Health recommend Hepatitis B be given in a three vaccination series. Students can receive a booster at no charge if they are on the UnitedHealthCare Policy at Walmart once they arrive on campus if they are unable to get it while still at home. Their own insurance policy may also cover it at no cost while in the United States, but they would need to check with their insurer to be sure.

Still have questions?

Please contact us using the information to the right in the “Contact Winslow Health Center” box!