Allegheny College, a small selective national liberal arts college, invites applications for a Web Designer/Developer position in the Office of Marketing and Communications. Working within the Office of Marketing & Communications at Allegheny College to design, develop, maintain, and support the College’s main website and other digital initiatives. The designer/developer assists in developing and implementing high-level public content, digital communication strategies, and the organization and structure of the College website based on reviews of analytics and industry best practices. Reporting to the Director of Art & Publications, the developer is part of a collaborative marketing and communications team that focuses on student success through a lens of equity and inclusion and has a passion for the liberal arts.
The web designer/developer will:
- Lead WordPress development on College web projects
- Design, update, and manage content and images on the College’s family of websites
- Assist with regular design, template, and content updates to the College’s event calendar, campus map, and course catalogue systems
- Continuously reviews web analytics to recommend changes to existing sites to improve the user experience
- Provide training and support to content publishers across campus
- Stay current with all emerging technologies, best practices, web standards and other changing or developing online opportunities
- Supervise student web assistant staff. Responsibilities include hiring, scheduling, approving timesheets, and daily managerial tasks including assigning work and assessing performance.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, communications, or related field – or equivalent experience
- 4+ years of experience in web design/development
- Higher education experience is a plus
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Experience with designing and developing for WordPress, including custom themes and plugins
- Strong attention to detail and ability to ensure consistency in design, code, content, and user experience
- Ability to problem-solve and learn new things through research, professional development, and trial and error
- Collaborative spirit, ready and excited to work with a skilled team
- Experience and comfort training users at all levels of proficiency
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of web standards, data formats and accessibility standards, including WCAG and Section 508
- Experience with Google Tag Manager and Google Analytics
- Experience with version control (Git) a plus
As one of the nation’s oldest liberal arts colleges, Allegheny College celebrated its bicentennial in 2015. A selective residential college in Meadville, Pennsylvania, north of Pittsburgh near Lake Erie, Allegheny is one of 40 colleges featured in Loren Pope’s “Colleges That Change Lives.” Allegheny also is one of the few colleges in the country that requires students to choose both a major and a minor, helping to cultivate intellectual growth and the creative, big-picture thinking desired by employers and graduate schools. In its 2020 rankings, U.S. News & World Report recognized Allegheny in the top 20 among all national liberal arts colleges for best undergraduate teaching.
The Chronicle of Higher Education ranks Allegheny as one of the best colleges in the nation to work for, specifically in the areas of compensation and benefits. Allegheny has a total undergraduate enrollment of approximately 1,700 with students from 47 states (plus AE, DC, PR, and VI) and 70 countries. The College’s picturesque location is ideal for outdoor recreation, with eight freshwater lakes, ski areas and recreational opportunities all within easy reach.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and provide contact information for three references to the Office of Human Resources, Allegheny College, 520 N. Main Street, Meadville, PA 16335 or by e-mail to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. An offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.
Allegheny College is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity. Women, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of other underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. Allegheny does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, or national origin.