Speaking and Success at Allegheny!
Allegheny’s FS program asks you to speak and write effectively from your first semester on campus, and speaking well is going to be essential to your success here and after you leave Allegheny. From FS courses to your Senior Project, public speaking will be a big part of your time at Allegheny.
The speaking skills you develop here will be incredibly important in the professional world! According a 2010 study by the American Association of Colleges and Universities, 89% of employers want colleges to place more emphasis on helping students to develop their abilities to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
The emphasis on speech throughout the curriculum at Allegheny puts you ahead of your peers at other colleges, and the Speech Consultants in the Learning Commons are here to help you make the most of the speaking opportunities on campus. Whether you are new to writing and presenting effective speeches or are an experienced public speaker, the Speech Consultants in the Learning Commons offer services and resources that can help you to achieve greater success.
At the Learning Commons you can practice your speech with a trained, supportive, student consultant who can help you:
- Work on basic speech construction including issues of organization, transitions, introductions/conclusions
- Develop a strong thesis and supporting evidence to make your speech more effective
- Become more skilled in vocal and physical delivery to help you present your speech powerfully
- Help you learn to use notes effectively
- Use visual aids in compelling and creative ways to enhance your presentation
Learn more about What to Expect in Your Speech Consultation.
Schedule an Appointment to meet with a Speaking Consultant.