Today’s tech tip is a useful keyboard shortcut for Google Drive!
Google Drive allows us to place any file inside one or more folders with having to create copies of that file. By doing this, organizing your Google Drive becomes easier, and editing the file inside one folder also updates all other instances of the file.
- Open Google Drive in your web browser.
- Select a file, and press Shift + Z . You will see an “Add to Folder” window appear.
- Next, select the folder where you want to add the selected file and click OK.
From approximately noon until 3:00pm Friday afternoon, the wireless network at 570 and 575 Park Avenue was unavailable. The cause of the outage has been resolved and connectivity has been restored.
If you are experiencing any issues related to this outage, please submit a Web Help Desk Ticket.
Due to upcoming changes to the Allegheny wired network, students staying on campus over the summer may need to re-register their devices (such as computers and game systems), to gain network access after Tuesday May 14th.
To request network access for your game system:
- Log on to http://webhelp.allegheny.edu using your Allegheny username and password.
- Click on the Request button.
- Select Student Issue -> Game System Registration -> Wired Connection as the Request type.
- Provide the requested information. All fields with an asterisk (*) are required.
- Click Save to send the information.
- It can take up to a week to have a game system registered on the network.
Please click here for more information on Residence Hall Network Services.
It can be difficult to see who made certain changes and when to a document that multiple people are working on. By using version history in Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides, you can see all of the updates made to your file.
To see an earlier version of your file, or revert to an older version:
- Open your file in Google Drive.
- Select File > Version history > See version history.
- Click a timestamp to see a previous version of the file.
- Click Restore this version to make it the active version.
(You need Owner or Can edit access to the file to see version history.)
There have been recent reports of Tech Support Scam web browser popups from the Allegheny Community.
A Tech Support Scam popup is when your browser, (Chrome, Internet Explorer, etc.,) displays an advertisement that pretends to be from Microsoft, Google, or another legitimate company. The advertisement states that your computer is infected, your data is at risk, or your computer has been blocked because it has been hacked. At the end of this warning, a phone number is typically provided instructing you to call the scammers for support.
For more information on how to spot, avoid, and report these types of scams, please follow this link to the Federal Trade Commission’s Consumer Information website.
Allegheny Google accounts require us to use two-step verification to help prevent unauthorized access to our accounts.
There are several options that can be used for this, but did you know that instead of receiving a verification code, you can simply tap a prompt on your phone that asks if you are trying to sign in? This method is quicker than entering a verification code.
If you’re not already using phone prompts and would like to try it out, click this link to get started.
Have you ever had the need to scan and upload a document, but did not have a copier or scanner available to do so? If you are an Android user, then this tip is for you!
Using the Google Drive app, you can scan files as PDF’s with your camera. Follow the steps below to try it out.
- Open the Google Drive app.
- In the bottom right, tap Add.
- Tap Scan.
- Take a photo of the document you’d like to scan.
- Optional: You can now adjust the scan area, take the photo again, or scan another page.
- To save the finished document, tap Done.
Are you tired of typing the same reply every time someone sends you an email with a common question? Do you wish that Gmail could automatically reply to certain messages with a saved response? Well, you’re in luck!
Follow the instructions below to automate replies with canned responses:
- In the Gmail search box, click the Down arrow.
- Enter your search criteria, then click Create filter.
- Check the Send canned response box and select one of your saved canned responses. If you don’t see this option, make sure canned responses are enabled. [Settings > Advanced > Canned Responses (Templates)].
- Click Create filter.
On Saturday, April 20, scheduled maintenance for ProQuest Ebook Central will occur. This maintenance will take place from 12:00pm to 2:00pm (lasting approximately 2 hours). During this time Ebook Central will be unavailable.
Happy Tuesday, Allegheny!
Today’s tech tip is another for your calendar. Did you know that you can create other calendars in addition to your own? This feature can be beneficial for tracking schedules and managing projects. Try making your own calendar by following the steps below:
- Open Google Calendar, and on the left next to Add calendar, click More, Create new calendar.
- Name the calendar and add a description.
- Click Time zone and select your time zone.
- Click Create Calendar. Your new calendar appears under My calendars.
You can create as many calendars as you want using the same process.