Are you tired of typing the same reply every time someone sends you an email with a common question? Do you wish that Gmail could automatically reply to certain messages with a saved response? Well, you’re in luck!
Follow the instructions below to automate replies with canned responses:
- In the Gmail search box, click the Down arrow.
- Enter your search criteria, then click Create filter.
- Check the Send canned response box and select one of your saved canned responses. If you don’t see this option, make sure canned responses are enabled. [Settings > Advanced > Canned Responses (Templates)].
- Click Create filter.
On Saturday, April 20, scheduled maintenance for ProQuest Ebook Central will occur. This maintenance will take place from 12:00pm to 2:00pm (lasting approximately 2 hours). During this time Ebook Central will be unavailable.
Happy Tuesday, Allegheny!
Today’s tech tip is another for your calendar. Did you know that you can create other calendars in addition to your own? This feature can be beneficial for tracking schedules and managing projects. Try making your own calendar by following the steps below:
- Open Google Calendar, and on the left next to Add calendar, click More, Create new calendar.
- Name the calendar and add a description.
- Click Time zone and select your time zone.
- Click Create Calendar. Your new calendar appears under My calendars.
You can create as many calendars as you want using the same process.
Did you know that you can turn blocks of time on your calendar into appointment slots that others can book? When an appointment slot is booked on your calendar, it will be displayed so that you know who you are meeting and when. Follow the steps below to try out this feature:
- Open Google Calendar and in your calendar grid, click an empty time slot and click Appointment slots.
- (Optional) If you want to create your appointment slot on another calendar, at the bottom next to your name, click the Down arrow and select the calendar.
- Add a title and choose a date and time.
- Select the number of slots and the duration of each appointment.
- (Optional) If you want to add more details to your appointment slot, click More options and add your information.
- Click SAVE.
Did you know that you can search for text inside PDF and image files in Google Drive? Try it out by typing the text you want to search for in the search box!
Across campus, printing may be unavailable the evening of Tuesday, March 19th between the hours 5:30 and 6:30 due to scheduled maintenance.
If you experience issues printing after this time, please contact the InfoDesk at Pelletier Library at x3768 or email email@example.com .
Phishing attempts are on the rise!
Can you spot when you’re being phished? Check out this quiz to find out.
Be sure to check out the LITS Phishing page to learn more about phishing and how to stay alert.
LITS is rolling out a weekly Tech Tip! Stay up to date by subscribing to the LITS News and Updates.
There are new options for right-clicking in Gmail! By right-clicking on a message in your Gmail, you can do any of the following:
- Reply to, or forward, an email in one click from the main page
- Search for all emails from a sender
- Open multiple emails in multiple new windows at the same time
- Easily add a label or move an email
We have received reports recently of another identified phishing attempt. Continue to keep up this great level of awareness!
A recent phishing attempt was brought to the attention of LITS by several in the community. The message used more sophisticated language than a typical phishing email. The fact that the message did not come from allegheny.edu is what helped to identify the phishing attempt.
This was a good reminder to the Allegheny community to be cautious when receiving unexpected emails.
If you get a message you think is phishing/spam you should:
- Not click on links in the message
- Follow up by other means.
- Report it as spam/phishing in Gmail
Please do not hesitate to contact the InfoDesk at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone to report phishing attempts or obtain more information.
LITS always encourages safe account practices and would encourage you to visit the LITS website to change your password if you ever feel that your account credentials have been compromised. In addition, two-factor authentication is an added layer of protection against this possibility.