Skip to content
Printing From Your Mac
- Click here to download the Public Printers installer for Mac OS X.
- If you are presented the following error message, you will need to take extra steps to allow the installation.
- To allow the installation, click on the Apple logo at the top left of your screen and then choose “System Preferences”. In the “System Preferences” window, choose “Security and Privacy”. Make sure you are in the “General” tab and click the button at the bottom right that says “Open Anyway”, this will initiate the client installation.
- When you launch PublicPrinters.pkg you will first be greeted by this introduction screen. Click ‘Continue’ to proceed.
- The next screen shows an installation summary, click ‘Install’.
- If the installation succeeds, you will see the final screen. Click ‘Close’ to continue and the PaperCut Client will start automatically. If it does not, launch it from the Applications directory. On OS X 10.9 Mavericks, this screen may report failure, but it has actually succeeded. You may then be prompted to install Java. Proceed with that installation to enable support for the PaperCut Client. If the Public Printers printer appears in your list of printers, this installation was successfully.
- Start the PaperCut Client from Applications/PCClient.app. If the PaperCut Client is not running, your print jobs will not be sent to the printer, even if they appear to have been sent. The application minimizes into a new icon on your menu bar. The PaperCut Client displays your current Print Point allocation and will allow personal computers to connect to the Allegheny Public Printers.
- When you print a document, you will see that a printer called Public Printers has been installed. Select this printer to send your document to the Public Printers queue.
- When your print job is submitted to the Public Printers queue, the PaperCut Client will pop up and request your login credentials. Enter your username and password then click ‘OK’ to send the document to the print queue.
- When the PaperCut Client has successfully authenticated and your print job has been sent, you will see a message stating that your document has been held in a queue. If you do not see this message, your print job has not been sent to the print server. Additionally, you can login at print.allegheny.edu and click on “Jobs Pending Release” on the right side of the page. If your print job appears in the list, then it is being held on the server waiting for you to release it to a public printer.
- You can now go to one of the Public Printers and swipe your ID card to log in. From there you can choose print jobs to release to that printer to begin printing. Print jobs will only be held in the queue for 24 hours before being automatically deleted.