Keeping your files organized in such a way that you can locate them quickly makes life a lot easier!
Here are five guidelines for naming and organization:
- Have a distinctive, human-readable name that gives an indication of the content.
- Follow a consistent pattern that is machine-friendly.
- Organize files into folders (when necessary) that follow a consistent pattern.
- Avoid repetition of semantic elements among file and directory names.
- Have a file extension that matches the file format (no changing extensions!)
What types of tech tips would you like to see more of? We would love to hear your feedback! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.