The Math Placement Test
- All entering students are required to take the Math Placement Test, with the following exceptions:
- students who transfer in college credit for a Mathematics course numbered MATH 141 or higher, or who have transfer credit for PRERQ*MAT;
- students who score 4 or 5 on the Advanced Placement AB calculus exam, and who report their score to Allegheny;
- students who score 4 or 5 on the Advanced Placement BC calculus exam, and who report their score to Allegheny;
- students who score 3 on the Advanced Placement BC calculus exam with a 4 or 5 on the AB subscore of this exam, and who report their score to Allegheny.
- All other first-year students and transfer students should take the Math Placement Test.
- The Math Placement Test determines readiness for Calculus I (Math 151). It consists of 30 questions covering algebra, pre-calculus, and trigonometry topics: geometry and measurement; algebraic manipulation; equations, inequalities, and factoring; trigonometry; functions and their notation, including linear, polynomial, rational, trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic functions; graphs of functions; and word problems and modeling.
- A link to the Math Placement Test and directions for logging onto the system is on each student’s WebAdvisor page. Immediately upon finishing the test, the results will be displayed.
- The Math Placement Test places students into one of two courses, both of which are appropriate for any major or minor program at Allegheny:
- Math 151 (Calculus I)
- Note that students who are considering a major or minor in Computer Science but who are also interested in Mathematics are strongly encouraged to take Math 151 in the Fall.
- Math 140 (Calculus I with Precalculus, Part 1)
- Math 151 (Calculus I)
Students who took an AP Calculus test should use the following guidelines:
|AP Test||Score||Credit Received||Recommended Placement|
|Calculus AB||4 or 5||MATH 151 (Calculus I)||MATH 152 (Calculus II)|
|Calculus AB||3 or below||none||Take placement exam|
|Calculus BC||4 or 5||MATH 151 (Calculus I) and MATH 270 (Optimization and Approximation)||MATH 152 (Calculus II)|
|Calculus BC||3 with AB sub-score
of 4 or 5
|MATH 151 (Calculus I)||MATH 152 (Calculus II)|
|Calculus BC||2 or below OR
3 with AB sub-score
of 3 or below
|none||Take placement exam AND consult with math faculty|
Students with transfer credit should use the following guidelines:
|Allegheny transfer credit||Recommended Placement|
|PRERQ*MAT||MATH 151 (Calculus I)|
|MATH 140||MATH 141 (Calculus I with Precalculus, Part 2; the first
offering of this course will be in Spring 2020)
|MATH 141||MATH 152 (Calculus II)|
|MATH 151||MATH 152 (Calculus II)|
|MATH 152||Consult math department.|
|MATH 270||MATH 152 (Calculus II), and/or consult math department|
Course descriptions can be found here.