Internship with the World Language Program

Are you interested in teaching in a Crawford Central School District classroom and earning 2 credits?

Have you taken or are you currently in a 200-level or above language class at Allegheny?

If you answered “yes” to both of these questions, you’re a great candidate for the World Language Program — an internship that sends Allegheny students into local elementary school classes to provide an introduction to foreign language and global culture.

World Language interns give one lesson per week and are supported by classroom teachers in the schools; at the end of the semester, you will have a portfolio that documents your teaching experience and lesson plans — plus 2 credits!

I was in the World Language program during the spring 2019 semester, teaching German to 6th Graders with a friend. It was really interesting to have to look at the language I am learning from a different point of view and an interesting experience to work with kids. It was a good reminder of what I had learned when I started and how helpful it can be to go back to basics sometimes. Not only is it less stressful to have to remember and explain colors rather than conjugation, it is a way to make learning a language less serious than in a typical college class. I would recommend this program to anyone, especially those are interested in teaching or are curious about working with children or who are just looking for a new and fun way to interact with the language they are learning.

– Kyra Nielsen ’21

For more info, please contact Professor Teresa Herrera (therrera@allegheny.edu)