- Average class size, introductory: 30
- Average class size, advanced: 7
Jennifer Dearden, Chair, Associate Professor of Music; B.M., Ithaca College; M.M., Florida State University, D.M.A., University of North Texas, Trumpet, Director of Civic Orchestra, Chair.
Julie Hepler, Assistant Professor of Music; B.M., M.M., Ohio University, Bassoon, Clarinet, Saxophone.
Lowell Hepler, Professor of Music; B.S., Clarion University; M.F.A., Carnegie-Mellon University; Ph.D., Case Western Reserve University, Tuba, Piano, Director of Wind Symphony.
Douglas Jurs, Assistant Professor of Music; DMA in Piano Performance with a Minor in Music Theory at University of Wisconsin – Madison; MM in Piano Performance at Cleveland Institute of Music; BS in Piano and English at Indiana University Jacobs School of Music.
James Niblock, Associate Professor of Music, Director of Choral Activities; B.A., Allegheny College; M.M., Binghamton University; D.M.A., University of Connecticut, Voice, Director of Choral Activities.
Bronwell Bond, M.Mus.Ed., instructor of flute
Kevin Dill, instructor of organ
Christina Brice Dolanc, M.M., instructor of violin & viola
James E. Froman, B.A., instructor of guitar, jazz improvisation, jazz history
Jackson Froman, B.A, instructor of harmonica
Vicki Jamison, B.A., instructor of voice
Claire Jurs, M.M., instructor of voice
Tom Leech, instructor of French horn
Carol Niblock, B.A., instructor of voice
Hilary Philipp, M.M., instructor of oboe
Wendy Plyler, B.M., instructor of piano
Susanna Reilly, M.M., instructor of cello
Matt Rush, instructor of percussion
Kelli Shellito, M.M., instructor of piano
Deke Showman, B.A., instructor of bagpipe
Ronald Stitt, Ph.D., instructor of trombone and euphonium, Director of Jazz Band
Thomas White, instructor of string bass
Selected Publications and Achievements
- All faculty members are active performing artists, both on and off-campus
- “Some Practical Considerations when Evaluating the Exceptional Adolescent Singing Voice” (article in Learning, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools)
- “Bach’s St. John Passion-A Look at the Text and a New Numbering System” (article in The Choral Journal)
- Prize winner at Gina Bachauer, Paloma O’Shea, Affiliate Artists and Sydney International piano competitions
- Performances at Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Ambassador Foundation, Pasaden, California
- Concerto soloist with the Philadelphia Orchestra, the Pittsburgh, Atlanta and New Zealand Symphonies, the Hong Kong and Buffalo Philharmonics, and others
- International concert tours to People’s Republic of China, Taiwan, Spain, New Zealand
- Jury member of Gina Bachauer International Piano Competition
- Steinway Celebration in Carnegie Hall
- Pennsylvania State Chair of the College Band Directors National Association and Officer of Pennsylvania Music Educators Association
- Principal tuba for the Erie Philharmonic and Erie Chamber Orchestras and the Lake Erie Ballet Company
- Featured in the PBS film Bach to the Future
- Choral and band directors have served as guest conductors for Pennsylvania All-State Chorus and Pennsylvania All-State Band in addition to other festival ensembles
- Member of Solo Cornet Section, River City Brass Band