Allegheny Senior Values Lifelong Skills and Friendships She Developed at College

Meghan Uht arrived at Allegheny College four years ago with her sights set on developing solid friendships and honing her athletic abilities and academic skills so that they would serve her well for the rest of her life. She believes she has met those objectives and then some.

Uht, a graduating senior from Erie, Pennsylvania, will be moving to Pittsburgh soon after the May 11 Commencement and will begin work at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC).

“I’ll be part of the Finance Management Rotational Program, which is a three-year leadership-development program, and each year I will rotate to another area of finance or accounting,” Uht proudly says.

Uht will graduate as an economics and neuroscience double major. “Neuroscience and economics may seem like an extreme unusual combination, but they’re more connected than you would think,” she says. “I’m lucky I found a job that involves finance, so I can use my science knowledge to help fill the gap between health care and business at UPMC.”

Uht is a member of Alpha Chi Omega, serving on the executive board for two years. She is a member of Omicron Delta Epsilon, the economics honor society, and Chi Alpha Sigma, the student-athlete honor society. She played volleyball for four years and served as the captain in her senior year.

The volleyball team went through several coaching changes during Uht’s playing career, including the passing of longtime coach Bridget Sheehan in 2017. “I learned how to be a leader while supporting my teammates through some challenging times,” she said.

Community service also has played a role in Uht’s development. “Being able to work with the incredible people at Women’s Services in Meadville has been so rewarding,” she says. “Getting to do hands-on work at the shelter such as gardening, wrapping presents and organizing fund-raising events on campus has been awesome.”

The highlight of her Allegheny experience, Uht says, is the friends she has made. “I’ve made lifelong friends through my sorority, the athletic community, and in my classes. Along with friendships I’ve made, the professional relationships I’ve made with professors and alumni have been incredible.”

Although her home is not far from Allegheny, she said she was sold on the College immediately. “Allegheny was the only campus I could picture myself at,” Uht says. “I wanted to be involved in as much as I could in college, and Allegheny is where I knew I could do that.

“I would tell first-year students to take advantage of all of the opportunities that Allegheny gives you,” says Uht. “Also, take classes out of your comfort zone. You’ll leave Allegheny a well-rounded person because of it.”

Source: Academics, Publications & Research