College Credit for Prior Coursework

How many credits can be accepted?

For new students who have not previously enrolled as a degree-seeking student at another institution, Allegheny will accept a maximum of 32 credits earned prior to matriculation. For transfer students previously enrolled full-time at another institution, Allegheny will accept a maximum of 64 credits. This includes credit “by examination” (see below), transfer credit earned for college level courses offered at high schools by regionally accredited colleges and universities, and transfer credit taken in residence at regionally accredited colleges and universities.

Acceptance of these credits is determined by the appropriate department or, in the case of general college credits, by the Office of the Provost and Dean of the College, according to our general policy on transfer credit. Courses must be taken on a letter-grade basis, and students must earn a “C” or better for a course to be considered for transfer. In addition, courses must be at a college level and of a liberal arts nature to be eligible for transfer. For more complete information, please see the section entitled “Transfer of Courses” in the Academic Bulletin.

Credit By Examination

The College will accept a maximum of 20 credits “by examination,” which includes qualifying credits based on Advanced Placement (AP) examination scores, the International Baccalaureate (IB) program, and CLEP. Students who score 5 or better on the higher level examinations of the IB testing program may be granted credit and placement by certain departments. Students receiving scores of 4 or 5 on the CEEB Advanced Placement Exams will receive course credit, usually four semester hours of credit per exam.

If you have not already requested that a copy of your AP scores be sent to Allegheny and you intend to pursue AP credit here, please write to AP Exams, P.O. Box 6671, Princeton, NJ 08541-6671 or call (609) 771-7300 as soon as possible and arrange to have your scores sent directly to us.

To initiate a review of your potential transfer credit for college coursework, submit an official transcript from the college or university, together with a course description for each course from the school’s course catalog or bulletin, no later than June 15.

Please have your transcript(s) sent to this address:

Office of the Registrar
Allegheny College
520 N. Main Street
Meadville, PA 16335

Students who are currently considering taking college or university courses elsewhere should contact the Registrar’s Office for advice about transfer credit and/or selection of courses.

If you have questions about receiving credit for prior coursework, please contact the Office of the Registrar at (814) 332-2357 or