Meredith Sonnen

“When I leave here I’ll have explored political science from every possible angle.”

— Meredith Sonnen

“Most people don’t see the connection between theatre and political science,” says Meredith Sonnen, who is majoring in both. “But I see how politics and theatre drive each other.

“I understand the political decisions of a nation much better because I understand its culture through theatre. It’s not hard for me to grasp the motivation and thought process of a country because its culture and traditions are reflected in its theatre’s history.”

Meredith has always wanted to work in government, particularly foreign policy. She came to Allegheny because of the strength of the political science department, with its innovative Center for Political Participation and comprehensive curriculum.

“There are classes in public and international policy, political philosophy, development, law, Asia, Europe, the United States, Latin America, and what seems like a million other topics,” Meredith says. “When I leave here I’ll have explored political science from every possible angle.”

Meredith is thinking of joining the Peace Corps after college and then going to graduate school. “If I stay in political science, I’d like to take the Foreign Service exam and become a diplomat,” she says. “Allegheny has opened up so much to me that I now see a million opportunities for what I could do with my degree.”