All employees, especially those in certain occupations, should learn to use a fire extinguisher (laboratory, facilities management, food service, residential life and student health employees are required to attend fire extinguisher training). Call Safety and Security to set up a fire extinguisher training program.
SEE “EVACUATION” SECTION OF THIS GUIDE FOR MORE INFORMATION.
IF YOU DISCOVER AN ACTIVE FIRE ON YOUR FLOOR:
- Manually activate the fire alarm system.
- Immediately exit the building, closing doors behind you (DO NOT USE ELEVATORS).
- Call 911 and then x3357.
ONCE FIRE ALARM IS ACTIVATED:
- Walk to the nearest exit (DO NOT USE ELEVATORS).
- Assist persons with special needs.
- Notify fire personnel if you suspect someone is trapped inside the building.
- Gather outside at a designated assembly area, and do not attempt to re-enter the building until instructed to do so by Security or Fire Incident Command.
IF TRAPPED IN A ROOM:
- Wet and place cloth material around and under the door to prevent smoke from entering the room.
- Close as many doors as possible between you and the fire.
- Be prepared to signal someone outside, but DO NOT BREAK GLASS until absolutely necessary (outside smoke may be drawn into the room).
IF CAUGHT IN SMOKE:
- Drop to hands and knees and crawl toward exit.
- Stay low, as smoke will rise to ceiling level.
- Breathe shallowly through nose and use a filter such as a shirt or towel.
IF FORCED TO ADVANCE THROUGH FLAMES (which should be a last resort):
- Hold your breath.
- Move quickly.
- Cover your head and hair with a blanket or large coat.
- Keep your head down and your eyes closed as much as possible.
USING A FIRE EXTINGUISHER:
If you have been trained and it is safe to do so, you may fight small fires with a fire extinguisher.
FIRE EXTINGUISHER INSTRUCTIONS:
Pull safety pin from handle.
Aim at base of fire.
Squeeze the trigger handle.
Sweep from side to side to side at base.