Q. Is there a separate admissions process for students with disabilities?

No.  Regardless of the disability, a student must meet the same admissions criteria.  A student is not asked about a disability; however, a student may wish to disclose that they have a disability to explain certain situations.

Q. What is considered a disability?

As defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, a disability is a mental, physical, or emotional impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities.

Q. What are reasonable accommodations?

Reasonable accommodations are adjustments to policy, practice, and programs that “level the playing field” for students with disabilities and provide equal access to Allegheny’s programs and activities.  This adjustment must be made without altering fundamental goals of a course or lowering the standards in a class.

Q.  Does Allegheny have a specialized program for students with disabilities?

No, degree requirements are the same for everybody, but Allegheny does offer a wide range of services for students with disabilities.  Student Accessibility and Support Services (SASS) can provide academic accommodations such as extra time on exams and an alternate testing location.

The Maytum Center for Student Success offers tutoring and consultations for all students at Allegheny as well as study skills tutoring and workshops.  SASS has several software and hardware programs designed specifically for students with disabilities.   A wide range of other support services are available for all students at Allegheny.

Q. Will a high school Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan provide sufficient documentation of a disability?

No.  Although the IEP and 504 Plan is valuable information used to discuss appropriate accommodations, documentation from a licensed professional is necessary.  Guidelines for documentation can be found here.

Q.  Does Allegheny pay for evaluations or reevaluations of disability?

No. It is the student’s responsibility to provide verification of disability to Allegheny and to pay for evaluations or reevaluations of disability. However, we have suggestions on how to get tested for a disability.

Q.  Due to the nature of my disability, I feel that I will need a single room.  What is the process for receiving a single room?

To request a single room based upon disability, you must fill out a Housing Accommodation Form

You will need to have the appropriate licensed profession provide specific information about why your disability would prohibit you from having a roommate and what the results would be if you did not have a single room. Student Accessibility and Support Services (SASS) will work with other appropriate offices on campus and determine if the request warrants the accommodation of a single room. SASS will notify you when a decision has been made.

Q. What role do my parents play in the process?

If you are 18 years or older you are legally recognized as an adult.  You will be responsible for your own accommodation requests and disability related decisions.  However, parents are a wonderful source of support and students are encouraged to have open communications with their parents or other significant family members.

Q. Where is Student Accessibility and Support Services located?

Student Accessibility and Support Services is located in the Maytum Center for Student Success which is on the main floor of Pelletier library.