Receiving Accommodations

Steps Involved for Receiving Accommodations from SASS

1. Disclose your disability to the Office of Student Accessibility and Support Services. This can be done by contacting Student Accessibility and Support Services (814) 332-2898;  Every student admitted to Allegheny by the Office of Admissions will receive a Self-Disclosure for Disability Form with their admittance packet. Students who would like to disclose a disability should fill this form out and return it to SASS. Though it is best to disclose a disability prior to admission, students may disclose a disability at any point during their time at Allegheny.

2. After the student has disclosed a disability, SASS will give or mail that student information regarding the appropriate documentation that is needed to verify a disability and to qualify for services.

3. We will review the documentation and determine the following:

  • Does the student’s condition rise to the level of a disability as defined in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act?
  • What are the functional limitations of the disability in an educational setting?
  • What, if any, accommodations would be reasonable and appropriate for the student?

4. We will notify you as to whether the documentation submitted is sufficient or if more information is needed.

5.  SASS will meet with the student if the student would like to receive accommodations.

6. If the student would like to receive accommodations, SASS will send electronic notification to faculty regarding the approved accommodations for the student.

7. It is then the student’s responsibility to follow-through on any logistics involved. (Reminding faculty (7) days before a test/quiz)

8. If a student has problems relative to the provision of accommodations, the student should Student Accessibility and Support Services.

9. In subsequent semesters, the student needs to contact SASS if s/he would like to request accommodations for new classes. SASS will not assume that the student will need these accommodations.