Verification Process

Steps Involved for Receiving Accommodations from SASS

1. Disclose your disability to Student Accessibility and Support Services. This can be done by contacting the Senior Assistant Dean of Student Accessibility (via Student Success (814) 332-2898;  Every student admitted to Allegheny by the Office of Admissions will receive a Self-Disclosure for Disability Form with his or her admittance packet. Students who would like to disclose a disability should fill this form out and return it to Student Success. Though it is best to disclose a disability prior to admission, students may disclose a disability at any point during their time at Allegheny.

2. After the student has disclosed a disability, Student Accessibility and Support Services will give or mail that student information regarding the appropriate documentation that is needed to verify a disability and to qualify for services.

3. We will review the documentation and determine the following:

  • Does the student’s condition rise to the level of a disability as defined in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act?
  • What are the functional limitations of the disability in an educational setting?
  • What, if any, accommodations would be reasonable and appropriate for the student?

4. We will notify you as to whether the documentation submitted is sufficient or if more information is needed.

5.  The Senior Assistant Dean of Student Accessibility will meet with the student if the student would like to receive accommodations.

6. If the student would like to receive accommodations, SASS will email a link to an accommodation form that the student will need to fill out.  SASS will then share accommodation  spreadsheets with their professor.   These spreadsheets will verify the disability and list reasonable accommodations.

7.  It is then the student’s responsibility communicate the logistics of your accommodations with your professor based on the format of the course.

8. If a student has problems relative to the provision of accommodations, the student should contact Student Accessibility and Support Services.

9. In subsequent semesters, the student needs to contact SASS and fill out an additional accommodation form (this will be emailed from Student Accessibility and Support Services). SASS will not assume that the student will need these accommodations for all classes until the form is filled out for the semester.