Tips for Learning
Here are tips to help you be successful while learning.
- Check your Allegheny email account multiple times each day.
- Reach out to your instructors. Sign up for office hours. If you aren’t sure how best to participate in the remote classroom, contact your instructor for clarification.
- Check Canvas or Google Classroom for specific instructions from your course instructor. Reading announcements and other notifications is crucial to having a successful online experience. Log in regularly, not once or twice a week.
- Please realize that your instructor may not be able to respond immediately. Be patient, but follow up.
Technology for Learning
- Contact ITS if you have questions about tech tools.
- ITS has a list of Services Available to Students
- All Allegheny students have access to G-Suite (the Google suite of tools) and Canvas. You can find out more about G-Suite and Canvas in their online support areas or by contacting LITS (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Steps for joining a Google Meet.
- How to access Library Resources from off campus: This guide helps navigate the resources available to you.
- Quick guide on How to Record and Upload Videos with your Smartphone.
Access to Electronic Resources (books, journal articles)
- To find electronic copies of books and journal articles, use the new search boxes on the ITS search tools page that search for only these items.
- Requests for digital copies of journal articles the College does not own are still being fulfilled whenever possible.
- Patrons can access help finding electronic resources by using the tools on ITS’ research assistance page.
- Take the time to put together the schedule and expectations for each of your classes. See Goal Setting resources.
- Prioritize your work.
- Begin assignments early. Ask for help often.
- Decide how best to spend your time. See Time Management resources.
Take Care of Yourself
- Stay healthy by getting adequate rest, nutrition and exercise.
- Keep a growth mindset as you adapt to new circumstances. Your success has as much to do with your effort as it has to do with your ability.
- Monitor your self-talk and stay positive.
Manage Your Environment
- Schedule specific times in your day to dedicate to studying or participating in your classes.
- Consider using the “Do Not Disturb” function on your devices or a lockdown browser on your computer when you are trying to manage distraction.
- Find a space that is comfortable and allows you to focus. This can be your home base for coursework.
- Communicate regularly with your instructors, support personnel, advisors, coaches, etc.
- Call, text, and message friends, family and classmates.
- Check the Allegheny website for news and updates.
Ask for Help
- Contact your instructor or The Center for Student Success.
- Subject tutors and writing consultants are available for remote assistance.
- Contact the Research Librarians for help with research.
- Research Librarians will be using Google Meet. To schedule an appointment, go to the Research Assistance page. Remember we need a 24-hour notice to schedule a meeting, and please tell them about your topic when you sign up. Remember to use your @allegheny.edu account when setting up an appointment.
- Ask Us Chat will be available for simple questions and answers, such as citation formats.
- Contact Counseling and Personal Development if you have personal, interpersonal, social, educational, or emotional and psychological concerns.
- Click here to sign up for an appointment with a NaviGator – contact Student Success for a match to help with time management, studying or anything else.