Tips for Learning
- Check your Allegheny email account multiple times each day.
- Reach out to your instructors. Sign up for office hours. If you aren’t sure how best to participate in the remote classroom, contact your instructor for clarification.
- Check Canvas or Google Classroom for specific instructions from your course instructor. Reading announcements and other notifications is crucial to having a successful online experience. Log in regularly, not once or twice a week.
- Please realize that your instructor may not be able to respond immediately. Be patient, but follow up.
Technology for Learning
InfoWays that you (and your students) can connect with LITS Librarians for help are summarized on the LITS Research Assistance page including the Ask Us Chat now available Monday-Friday 10am-4pm.
- Contact LITS if you have questions about tech tools.
- LITS has a list of Services Available to Students
- All Allegheny students have access to G-Suite (the Google suite of tools) and Canvas. You can find out more about G-Suite and Canvas in their online support areas or by contacting LITS (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Steps for joining a Google Meet.
- How to access Library Resources from off campus: This guide helps navigate the resources available to you through LITS.
- Quick guide on How to Record and Upload Videos with your Smartphone.
Access to Electronic Resources (books, journal articles)
- To find electronic copies of books and journal articles, use the new search boxes on the LITS search tools page that search for only these items.
- Requests for digital copies of journal articles the College does not own are still being fulfilled whenever possible.
- Patrons can access help finding electronic resources by using the tools on LITS’ research assistance page.
- Take the time to put together the schedule and expectations for each of your classes. See Goal Setting resources.
- Prioritize your work.
- Begin assignments early. Ask for help often.
- Decide how best to spend your time. See Time Management resources.
Take Care of Yourself
- Stay healthy by getting adequate rest, nutrition and exercise.
- Keep a growth mindset as you adapt to new circumstances. Your success has as much to do with your effort as it has to do with your ability.
- Monitor your self-talk and stay positive.
Manage Your Environment
- Schedule specific times in your day to dedicate to studying or participating in your classes.
- Consider using the “Do Not Disturb” function on your devices or a lockdown browser on your computer when you are trying to manage distraction.
- Find a space that is comfortable and allows you to focus. This can be your home base for coursework.
- Communicate regularly with your instructors, support personnel, advisors, coaches, etc.
- Call, text, and message friends, family and classmates.
- Check the Allegheny website for news and updates.
Ask for Help
- Contact your instructor or The Center for Student Success.
- Subject tutors and writing consultants are available for remote assistance.
- Contact the Research Librarians for help with research.
- Research Librarians will be using Google Meet. To schedule an appointment, go to the Research Assistance page. Remember we need a 24-hour notice to schedule a meeting, and please tell them about your topic when you sign up. Remember to use your @allegheny.edu account when setting up an appointment.
- Ask Us Chat will be available for simple questions and answers, such as citation formats.
- Contact Counseling and Personal Development if you have personal, interpersonal, social, educational, or emotional and psychological concerns.
- Click here to sign up for an appointment with a NaviGator – contact Student Success for a match to help with time management, studying or anything else.