My Allegheny, Targeted Broadcast Email, and Opt-in Newsletter Guidelines
Communicating to – and on behalf of – our community
The Office of College Relations values the importance of clear, effective email communications with our internal audiences – faculty, administrators, staff and students who make up the Allegheny College community. These messages are defined as internal communications and are distributed through three primary channels:
My Allegheny is Allegheny College’s primary weekday, digital source for campus news. My Allegheny consists of a website and an email that is sent to the campus community each weekday with that day’s headlines. It is the preferred vehicle of record for internal communications and features news and general information that can be viewed by the entire community. My Allegheny is the official communication venue for news and information for all members of the Allegheny College community.
We encourage administrative and academic departments, faculty, staff and students to share announcements, including events, notices, and meetings, using our online submission form at http://sites.allegheny.edu/my/submit/
Here are a few things to remember about My Allegheny:
- Items for My Allegheny must be submitted by 4 p.m. in order to be posted to My Allegheny the following day.
- Items are not posted on Saturday or Sunday.
- Items that need to appear in Monday’s My Allegheny must be received by 4 p.m. the previous Friday.
- Submissions are automatically removed after an event has passed.
- Due to the volume of postings we receive we cannot re-post items.
- Academic events are also listed in the calendar box to the right of the postings for greater visibility and so that the community can quickly see lectures, concerts, gallery shows, and events related to life at Allegheny.
- My Allegheny is not used to distribute announcements and information for events that are not affiliated with the College.
Questions about My Allegheny?
Contact Rick Stanley at 332-4395 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
College Relations reserves the right to reject submissions or edit for length, content or clarity. Submitting parties are responsible for the accuracy of their content.
Mass Targeted Broadcast Email
At Allegheny, we encourage sharing information across the College. We recognize that email is an efficient, cost-effective way to do this. We also recognize that mass email can be viewed as unwelcome especially if the individual has not opted into and consented to receive the email notification.
What constitutes a mass broadcast email?
Mass broadcast email at Allegheny College is defined as targeted email that is sent through an email platform/software (MailChimp) to specific audiences using lists that are built by Information and Technology Services. Members of the Allegheny community cannot opt out of receiving these communications. Lists include:
- All campus (current faculty, staff, administrators, and students)
- All faculty – full and part time
- Current students
- All staff – full and part-time
- Administrators – full and part-time
- Parkhurst (dining services)
- Security – Timely Warning and Crime Alerts
What types of messages are appropriate for mass distribution?
Mass broadcast email to one of the above lists must be rare enough to ensure that communications via broadcast email is read. We do not want these messages to be so common that recipients immediately delete them.
The following are examples of acceptable categories of mass broadcast emails:
- President/Chair of Board emails – Recipient list is determined by College Relations or President’s Office designate designee
- Provost/Faculty emails – Recipient list is determined by Provost’s Office
- Faculty elections
- Faculty meeting notices, agendas, and meeting minutes
- Executive Vice President emails – Recipient list is determined by College Relations or EVP Office designate
- High level position searches
- Promotion at the vice presidential level or above
- Title IX-related content
- Legal announcement/EVP/HR – Recipient list is determined by College Relations or EVP/HR designee
- Messages the College is required by law to share with the College community. Often, these can be communicated through My Allegheny, but a separate email is sometimes required.
- Timely Warning/Crime Alert – Subscriber list is determined by Dean of Students/Public Safety
Mass broadcast emails must:
- Be critical and time sensitive
- Address an issue of campus safety (timely warning)
- Be in line with the College’s mission
- Address an issue that applies to the majority of the subscriber list
Examples of information that will NOT be distributed using mass broadcast email:
- Holiday Party and/or other college-wide gatherings
- Music Performances
- Course Registration
- Health Services such as flu and other clinics
- Notices of Committee meetings
Who can send a mass broadcast email?
- Senders of broadcast emails must be trained by College Relations and Information Technology Services, and a MailChimp account is required. Senders must be Allegheny employees and approved by their AEC member for the role of sending broadcast e-mails.
- All MailChimp accounts are approved by College Relations and Information Technology Services.
- Information Technology Services is the authorized owner of all subscriber lists and is responsible for updating and deleting list information.
- Requests for broadcast emails can be submitted at: sites.allegheny.edu/collegerelations/campus-broadcast-email-request/
Opt-In Newsletter Subscriptions
Choose the Allegheny College digital subscriptions that are right for you!
Allegheny College produces many electronic publications to support and enhance community building and sharing of important and timely information. Members of the Allegheny College community can subscribe to the following e-publications using the opt-in feature below. You can customize your subscription-based electronic communications by selecting the Subscribe icon.
My Allegheny: Daily Top College Headlines
My Allegheny delivers the day’s most important headlines for the Allegheny community – including the latest news, campus announcements, and events – via email each weekday. My Allegheny is the official communication venue for news and information for all members of the College community.
Celebrations and Concerns: Distributed Monthly
The Office of Spiritual and Religious Life compiles a monthly e-newsletter that informs subscribers about employee news such as births, marriages, and serious illness or death within the immediate family.
acITSNews: Daily News
Follow acITSNews and receive news and information about technology used at Allegheny.
People and Places: Distributed Monthly
People & Places, emailed monthly during the academic year to the campus community, is produced by College Relations and reports on the professional activities of members of the college community and highlights students’ achievements.