March 27, 1863

Miners Hill, Va.

March 27, 1863 

Dear Father:-

Yours of the 13th was received last Saturday—it found me well as usual. The weather has been quite pleasant for the past few days—the frogs and birds, heraldry of Spring, have made their appearance. The roads have not yet become good and I presume they will not be passable for the Army for some time. It is rumored that the Pennsylvania Reserves are to be sent to Frederick, Md., sometime before long, but we do not credit the story. I have been with my regiment since my return from the Army of the Potomac and have been acting Sergeant Major of the Regiment, but I do not know that it will be a permanent thing—it don’t amount to much at any rate. I would rather have it than a Clerkship in the Quarter Master’s Dept., as I have but little to do. I have time to read a good deal, which I do. I have just finished one of Fowler’s works and by the way an excellent book it is. I want to add it to the library and want all of the family to read it and especially Mother. The title of it is “Fowler on Matrimony”. [1] I am also studying Blackstone. [2]
                Prudence told you the truth about Sylvanus for he is “in charge” of all the Hospitals in Baltimore. As I wrote you once before, he is bound to succeed. I do not see how he got the appointment but I think he has got cheek enough for almost anything. He doubtless had the influence of General Kane.
                I am glad if Frank has concluded to go to Commercial School—hope it won’t be talk only.
                I had the pleasure of seeing Mary McCloskey (Rachel’s Sister) a day or two since. She is now here on a visit to her husband who belongs to the Clarion Company in this Regiment—his name is Morgan. She looks as well as when I first saw her. She says Rachel and her Mother’s family are well, and wishes to be remembered to you.
                Thom. Ross is now back with his Company.  Jess Pryer is well. As we have never heard anything from Alex. Solinger yet it is supposed that he has deserted. There have been but few cases of desertion in the 10th Regiment thus far—Major Jas. B. Knox is in command of the Regiment yet. Col. Warner has not yet recovered from the wound he received at the battle of Antietam. He is in Georgetown D.C. and will soon be able to ride again. Tell Miles that C. O. Johnson has been assigned to the 5th Regiment P. R. C. as Asst. Surgeon, so we have another Alumnus of Allegheny in the Reserves. Norris is yet with the Army of the Potomac and perhaps will stay there. William Shippen (Son of Richard Shippen) will be Quarter Master of the 10th Regiment now since Norris has left. Mr. Shippen (Richard) was here for a few days visiting his son. I have not seen Everill for a long time as his Brigade is stationed several miles distant. Our Chaplain, Rev. Jno. F. McLaren, D. D., writes for the Presbyterian Banner or Advocate—if you see the paper you will find his letters interesting.
                Hoping for the health and safety of you all,
                                I am, as ever, Your dutiful son, Jas. 

Next posting: April 16, 2013

Jonathan E. Helmreich
College historian
Allegheny College
Meadville, PA 16335

[1] Orson S. Fowler, Fowler on Matrimony: or, Phrenology and Physiology Applied to the Suitable Selection of Companions for Life; Including the Analysis of Domestic Faculties; and also Directions to the Married for Living Affectionately and Happily Together (Philadelphia, 1841).

[2] William Blackstone’s Commentaries on the Laws of England were first published in England in four volumes 1765-69.