May 8, 1863

Washington, D. C.

May 8, 1863 

Dear Father:

Your note of last week was received.  Nothing has transpired here since my last writing worthy of note. They have kept our Brigade quite busy receiving and guarding Rebel prisoners since Hooker’s move.
                We have got but few of the details of the affair at Fredericksburg, but it seems that Hooker is back on this side of the river. Though he was certainly not forced back by the enemy. It seems that the heavy rains that have been falling for some days past have carried away the bridge over the Potomac Creek at Brookes Station—thus cutting off our communication as completely as [Major General George] Stoneman did that of the Rebels.[1] The pontoons were also in danger of being carried away by the rise in the Rappahannock, which would have left Hooker in a bad box. It seems as if the elements had been against us this time, but Hooker will soon try it again I think.
                I regret to notice among the killed Col. McKnight of Brookville (of the  105th P. V.).
                I do not know but that you will have started to see me before this reaches you. In my last I wrote for a couple of shirts—towel—lithographs—&c. I had a letter from Frank a day or two since. All the Venango boys are well as usual.
                Captain Over has been dismissed from the service by the War Department for “disobedience of orders, and contempt of Military Authority”.
                Nothing more at present.
                                Yours  affy.

J. D. Chadwick

Next posting: May 29, 2013

Jonathan E. Helmreich
College Historian
Allegheny College
 Meadville, PA 16335                                                           

[1] Stoneman led the Union Cavalry in the Battle of Chancellorsville, April 30 to May 6, 1863.  He achieved some initial success, to which Chadwick seems here to refer, but in the overall battle accomplished little. Hooker blamed Stoneman for the lack of Union success at Chancellorsville and had him shifted to a desk job in Washington.