August 12, 1863

Rappahannock Station, Va.

August 12, 1863

Dear Father:

Your letter of the 1st has been received. It finds us all well and enjoying ourselves as well as the August rays of the Sun will permit. I think we have had some of the hottest weather during the past few days that I ever felt. We have suffered almost as much from the excessive heat as we did last year at Harrisons Landing. It will be a year tomorrow since we left that Golgotha. The army is lying along the river from Sulphur springs to Kelly’s Ford. There are some troops on the South side of the river but not many. We do not expect a general movement again until we are reinforced by the ”elect”. They are beginning to come already. I heard that Abe Domer has been drafted, and if so am glad of it. Is it so? Don’t forget to send me a list of the successful candidates if published in the papers. I just finished writing a letter to John Lusher—he was well when I heard from him. All the Rockland boys are well. Jess Pryer has been promoted to 2nd Sergeant and may get a commission now, as there is only one officer for that company, (Cochran) and his name has been forwarded to the department for dismissal. Tom Ross and Jo are both driving teams at Head Quarters  of the Division. Brad Wilson is also driving. I was on a visit to the 121st Pa. Vols. Yesterday and saw Dan and Sy Levier. They are well.
                News is a scarce commodity with us now. Tell all the family to write—from Mother to Mary. Hoping to hear from you all, I am,
                                Yours affectionately

J. D. Chadwick

Next posting: August 19, 2013

Jonathan E. Helmreich
College Historian
Allegheny College
Meadville, PA 16335