October 7, 1863

Near Culpeper, Va.

October 7th, 1863 

Dear Father:

Your letter of Sept. 30th, enclosing Mary’s picture, was received yesterday. I was astonished to see how she has grown since I saw her—but then three years makes quite a difference in the appearance of a child. I was somewhat disappointed in not receiving a letter from Mother this week, but I shall expect it next week for sure. I received the last Citizen also; why do they pay the postage (2 cts) on each paper? I am a regular subscriber for one of the Meadville papers and they never pay the postage on it—it comes just as well without. I mailed a “Harper’s Illustrated” this morning to Mother. I put six or eight pods of the Castor Bean (Ricinus Communis) inside of it. I do not know whether they will grow or not, as they are not yet ripe. I send them as a curiosity—they were such to me.
                We have no news of any importance here now. The army is lying between Culpeper and the Rapidan, and the enemy are occupying the other side of the river. Their camps are in plain sight from the hills on this side of the Rapidan. No one knows where we will spend the winter—some think that we will fall back towards Washington and others that we will go to Fredericksburg. One thing is certain, we will not winter in Richmond if our Army is not reinforced very much. The Rockland boys are all well.  All have an earnest desire that Curtin shall be our next Governor. If the Penna. Soldiers could exercise the ”elective franchise” he would have a sweeping majority I assure you. We wait for the developments of next Tuesday and may the Right triumph.
                It seems that though General Rosecrans was defeated at the time, the enemy have not gained the desired end, for he still holds Chattanooga. With the reinforcements sent him he will soon be able to take the offensive. We wait in patience to hear of good news from the Army of the Cumberland. The health of the Army here is excellent indeed. I think of nothing that would interest you—I will close.
                                Yours affectionately,

J. D. Chadwick 

Next posting: October 16, 2013

Jonathan E. Helmreich
College Historian
Allegheny College
Meadville, PA 16335