October 30, 1863

Near Warrenton Junction, Va.

Oct. 30th, 1863 

Dear Parents:

I received your letter of last week on Sunday. I am writing in a deserted house and by the way it has been a very handsome one in days gone by. It is occupied as the Head Qrs. of our Division. We came here today and are now lying encamped in line of battle. Orders have been issued that no man may leave camp as we are liable to be attacked any moment. The enemy are in force on this side of the Rappahannock and an engagement is expected before long. We have rebuilt the railroad to this place, which was completely destroyed by the enemy. They burned the ties and laid the rails across the fires and so warped them that they cannot be used again. They worked diligently while they had a chance I assure you. I have no news to give you this time for I know of nothing that would interest you. How and what is Ramsdell doing? Where is Jno. Burgwin? Tell little Mary I am still looking for that letter.
                Hoping for your health and safety, I am,

Your son, James

P.S. Harry Clover has been promoted to  2nd Lieut. Tell Miles that Octave Williams and Kate Smith are married. 

Next posting: November 4, 2013

Jonathan E. Helmreich
College Historian
Allegheny College
Meadville, PA 16335