WarningInfluenza Information – Learn about symptoms, treatment, and more!
Winslow Health Center provides high quality, accessible, cost effective, nonjudgmental, and confidential health care for Allegheny students. We embrace a culture of safety, courtesy, respect and dignity at each encounter with students. Our staff provides continuity of care, and educational and preventative services to all students regardless of differences or similarities in aspects of our identities.
Located at the southwest corner of campus, in Schultz Hall, entrance on Park Ave.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8 am to 5 pm; Wednesday 8 am to 7 pm; Saturday 9 am to 12 noon (the second Saturday of each month). Students should call 814-332-4355 for an appointment. Walk-ins are welcome to use the self-care cold clinic. There is no charge to see the nurse practitioners, physician, or nurse.
- Illness/injury care and follow-up
- Diagnostic laboratory testing (in-house and off-site, using patient’s insurance)
- Health promotion counseling
- Allergy injections (students provide own serum)
- Minor surgical procedures
- Suture removals and dressing changes
- Flu vaccine clinics
- Referral to community health care providers and services
- Equipment to lend ( crutches, nebulizers, etc.)
- Free walk-in self care cold clinic
- At no charge, and as a convenience, we stock a variety of over-the-counter and commonly prescribed medications, first aid supplies, thermometers, sharps containers, “care packages” of ginger ale, soup, crackers, applesauce, etc., flu tests, strep tests, urine tests, TB tests.
Reproductive Health Care available by appointment (call 814-332-4355)
- Free urine pregnancy testing (note: 1st morning urine specimen required for accuracy)
- Emergency contraception: $15 – payable by check or cash (note: use a local pharmacy after hours or on weekends). Appointments are required for this service.
- Options counseling
- Diagnosis and treatment of non-STI infections such as yeast infections and bladder infections
- STI testing and treatment (testing is billed to student’s insurance)
- Low cost condoms and dental dams (no appointment necessary)
- Free annual or pelvic exams, breast exams and reproductive health information at our facility provided by Family Planning of Meadville two afternoons per month; call 814-332-4355 for an appointment. Low cost oral contraception can be prescribed at the appointment (via a prescription the student would take to their pharmacy in order to use their insurance)
- Programs on a variety of health concerns
- Books and resources to borrow
All students are required to carry medical insurance. If you do not have insurance which provides coverage in Meadville, PA, you can purchase a plan through the Student Financial Services website. More information about the plan is available at: http://www.firststudent.com/school_page/allegheny-college/home-allegheny/
We do not provide excuses or proof of visit forms for short term illness or injury (stomach flu, migraines, colds, sinus infections, sprains, etc.). This policy is consistent with recommendations from the American College Health Association, as well as the policies of other peer institutions. An absence from class is an administrative matter, not a medical one, and the resolution of this matter is between faculty and students. It is the student’s responsibility to communicate directly with the faculty regarding conditions that may interfere with attendance, and any decision about the impact of that absence rests with the faculty. In the event of a serious illness or injury requiring an absence of more than 2 days, we work with students to provide appropriate documentation. Respecting a student’s right to privacy, we cannot release information directly to faculty without a signed release of information form.
All visits to the Winslow Health Center are confidential. If students wish to have medical information disclosed to another person/entity, a signed consent must be filed.