March 3, 1863

Miners Hill, Va.

March 3, 1863

Dear Father:-

Your letter of February 21st, was received last Monday. I did not write last week as I had no opportunity to do so. I came up from Belle Plain last week and joined my Regiment. You talk of coming on a visit to Washington—I wish you would, but I would advise you not to come until the weather gets more pleasant. When you get to Washington, you will have to go to the Provost Marshall for a pass to come over the River. Miners Hill is seven miles from the Capitol. In all probability we will remain in our present locality for some time, but if we move I will let you know. 
                Write and let me know when you expect to come—but I would not advise you to come for at least a month yet.
                Tell Mary that I would be very glad to see her pet lamb. Furloughs are now being granted, but for only ten days. The time is so short that I think it is hardly worth applying for—I could but just have time to go home and come back again.
                Jo. Ross is in the Regiment Hospital though he is not very sick.
                The 3rd Brigade are encamped in a beautiful place and have good quarters. Colonel Fisher is in command of it. He expects to be made a Brigadier soon.
                I wish Francis would conclude to go to school this Summer, but he will do as he pleases about it. In you[r] next you can tell me what the boys are intending to do.
                I can think of nothing more that will interest you so I will close.
                                Yours affy.  J. D. C.

Next posting: March 27, 2013

Jonathan E. Helmreich
College Historian
Allegheny College
Meadville, PA 16335