July 7, 1863

Near Frederick City,  Md.

July 7, 1863 

Dear Father:-

In consequence of being on the march I did not write you last week. I have received but two letters from you since I saw you, but I suppose yours of last week to me was captured with the rest of our mail by a part of Rebel Cavalry.
                I will give you a short sketch of our journeying since we were ordered to join the Army of the Potomac as I find it in my sketch book—“June 25th Took up the march from Upton’s Hill to join the Army of the Potomac—Reached Vienna X Roads and encamped for the night in the same place where we encamped with General Ord more than a year since. June 26th—The anniversary of Mechanicsville—moved camp at 7 a.m.—marched through rain and mud up the Leesburg Pike and encamped for the night at Broad Run. 27th Started at 6 a.m. left the Leesburg Pike at Frankville and came down to the Potomac at Edwards Ferry—which we crossed—marched up towards Sugar Loaf Mountain—encamping for the night at the mouth of the Monocacy,  having marched about seventeen miles. June 28th—Marched at 5 a.m. passed through Buckeystown—was charged eight cents for a pint of milk there. Crossed the Baltimore & Ohio at Lime Kiln Switch and encamped about three miles from Frederick about 10 p.m. The most beautiful country I ever saw—waving grain fields—some cut and shocked. 29th—Struck tents at 5 a.m. but did not march until 12 n.—raining some—passed Frederick—a great display of the Union Flag all through the City—marched up the Baltimore pike across the Monocacy, then took the road to Union Town—marched until 11 o’clock p.m. and encamped seven miles from Frederick ([Major General John] Sedgwick’s Corps passed us in the night) slept under an ammunition wagon—on the ground.  June 30th—marched at 7 a.m. the morning wet and the road rather muddy—passed through Liberty, Johnsville, Willow Grove, Union Bridge and encamped for the night at Union Town. July 1st, marched at 6 a.m.—passed through Frizzlesburg, and struck the Baltimore Pike—crossed the line of Maryland and entered Pennsylvania, West Manheim Twp., York Co., at 4 p.m. The rebel cavalry had been all through the neighborhood and had taken all the horses they could find—pointed pistols at defenceless women and demanded whatever money might be about the house. This was the case in several instances I had it from the women themselves. Copperheads shared as bad, if not worse, than outspoken Union people. [1]
                Such is a sketch of our travels into Penna., after which I kept no diary. Of course you have a complete account of the great battle of Gettysburg [July 1-3, 1863], so I will say nothing about it. The 3rd Brigade P.R.V. were but little engaged, being held as a reserve—two were killed out of the tenth. The Bucktails suffered a considerable [loss], their Colonel [Frederick Taylor], a brother of Bayard Taylor, was killed. Everill came out uninjured—he has been with his Company ever since we marched.  Lee received a complete whipping—it was indeed a glorious victory. He is endeavoring to get back into Virginia again, but [Major]General [William H.]French has destroyed his pontoons and the Potomac is so high he cannot ford it. Part of the Army has gone to head him off and the rest is chasing him in the rear hotly. His “flag of truce” for burying the dead was rather “played out” with General Meade. The troops are pushing on as fast as they can and we are expecting a battle soon again—which must result disastriously to the revel invaders.  It is hoped that Lee’s army will be annihilated. If you could have enjoyed a visit from the rebel army it would have done you all good in Venango and adjoining counties—You would then lay aside your parties and factions and become a united people. The next few days will develop affairs, and great events are expected. I will endeavor to keep you posted as to our movements—hope to hear from you all regularly.
                My love to all the family,
                                                Your affectionate son,    J. D. Chadwick

Next posting: July 15, 2013

Jonathan E. Helmreich
College Historian
Allegheny College
Meadville, PA 16335                              

[1] “Copperheads” refers to northern sympathizers for the southern cause.