July 15, 1863

Near Berlin,  Md.

July 15th, 1863

Dear Father:

After a day’s march I seat myself to write you a hasty note. We are again on the wing for Dixie and expect to cross the Potomac at Berlin tomorrow. As you have already heard, Lee effected a crossing day before yesterday and General  Meade is after him, or rather is on the inside track—his forces moving East of the Mountains, holding the gaps and passes, while Lee is on the other side. We are expecting a race, as to who shall reach Fredericksburg, or some other point on the Rappahannock. Our Cavalry “gobbled up” three or four thousand more prisoners yesterday morning before they had got across the river. Since the rebels first crossed into the loyal states we have taken altogether 15,000 prisoners or near that, besides with their killed and wounded which with deserters will total a loss to  them of not less than 30,000. Every thing seems to be going on right in every direction. Vicksburg fallen—and tonight we hear that Port Hudson has surrendered—and that [Confederate Major General Edward] Johnson has been badly beaten. Can we not see the beginning of the end?
                I think the Army of the Potomac would whip twice their number now they are so enthusiastic.
                I wrote to you last week that Everill had come out of the Battle of Gettysburg all safe but I regret to say that such is not the case—he was shot through the left breast or side on the last day of  the engagement. I saw his Captain day before yesterday, who told me that he “fought like a hero” and was wounded while out in front as a skirmisher or sharpshooter. His mess mate told me that he had heard from him that day and that he was doing well and that he would recover from his wound. He was left in the Hospital at Gettysburg and I suppose he is there still.
                You recollect seeing in the papers a notice of the hanging of Richardson the spy—he was hung about a mile from Frederick on Monday at daylight and I saw him hanging still on Thursday! It was the most horrible sight I have seen. He had not a stitch of clothes on except a piece of a shirt—no cap either. I have seen the same man going around selling songs, etc., through the camps. I do not know how much longer he was left hanging, but I suppose long enough to let everybody see the fate of persons who act in the capacity of a spy.
                I saw Sam Winans yesterday—he starts for home tomorrow as his time is up—he tells me that his brother was killed at Gettysburg. I have heard that Sam Wilson was killed on some Cavalry fight lately and guess it is so. I have not heard from you this week yet.
                Nothing more,
                                Your Son,

J. D. Chadwick 

Next posting: August 7, 1863

Jonathan E. Helmreich
College Historian
Allegheny College
Meadville, PA 16335