August 19, 1863

Rappahannock Station, Va.

August 19, 1863

Dear Father:

Yesterday I received a note from you and also one from Miles, bearing date August 12th. Nothing of importance has transpired since I wrote you. We are still where we were then and may remain here some days yet, though it is expected we will go towards Washington soon. A great many troops have left the Army of the Potomac and have shipped for some point on the coast, perhaps for Charleston. Some conscripts are arriving every day now, but as yet none have come for the Pa. Reserves.  
                You ask to know about Everill—I have heard nothing from him either directly or indirectly since I first heard of his being wounded. I have made frequent inquiry but can hear nothing of his whereabouts—I wrote to Calista a day or two since to find out something about him.
                Captain Over has been reinstated again and is not with the regiment as Captain of Company C. The boys all rejoiced at his return, but would be glad if Cochran was gone. MacKey is in Washington since he has been dismissed—I guess he feels ashamed to go home—he is endeavoring to get reinstated but there is no expectation of his success.
                All the Venango boys are well as usual. We are waiting to hear from the draft and are impatient to know who had been taken. It seems to me improbable that Miles is liable to be drafted—I did not think that he is old enough. He need not be anxious to get into the Army as a conscript, for they are used rather roughly—I do not think he is able to stand it.
                I am glad you and Ma are going to pay a visit to  McKean this fall—you must take Mary with you of  course. I have subscribed for a neat little School paper published monthly in Philadelphia, and edited by Rev. Alex. Clark (who is now preaching in New Brighton, Pa., I think). It is to be sent to Mary’s address. She may look for the September number, as I expect the year will begin with that month. If it is received in due time, let me know. Miles tells me that Abe Domer has paid his $300. Where did he get it? He has certainly not made it preaching. Please send me a list of the Erie Conference appointments. [1] What few spare moments I have I endeavor to improve by reading and study.
                Last week I sent you ten dollars—did you get it? I enclose the same amount this time as I do not need it now.
                I think of nothing more—Adieu
                                Yours affy,

J. D. Chadwick

Next posting: October 1, 2012

Jonathan E. Helmreich
College Historian
Allegheny College
Meadville, PA 16335               

[1] Here Chadwick probably refers to pulpit assignments within the Methodist Episcopal Church.