January 6, 1864

Bristol Station, Va.  

Jany. 6th, 1864

Dear Father,

Your letters of the 18th and 26th of December have been received during the past week. Also a note from Bing and Mary which I answer and enclose with this. No news of any importance. Wm. Mays started for home on a leave of absence a few days ago. I sent my lithographic album home by him. I suppose you have got it by this time—please take good care of it and don’t let the children tear or soil it. I value it very highly indeed. I asked him to pay you a visit and spend an evening with you. Perhaps he has done so. If he did not get down to see you he will leave the album at the corners.
                Tell Ma that I do not know what has become of “Baltimore”.[1] The last time I heard of him he was with some cavalry Regiment. Incidents in the life of that little scamp since he has been with the Army would make an interesting book. The first time you see any of Uncle David’s folks ask them what Regiment David is in.
                I suppose that John Barr paid you a visit when he was home. We do not know positively when we will be discharged—there is a diversity of opinion in regard to it. Some say that we will be released in May (15th) the date that the Pa. Legislature organized our Corps. Some think that we will go out on the 8th day of June. Others are of the opinion that we will be kept until July 21st three years from the date of our muster into the U.S. service. I shall expect the latter and if I get out before so much the better. For the present I will close.
                                                Your  affet. Son.

J. D. Chadwick

Next posting: January 21, 1014

Jonathan E. Helmreich
College Historian
Allegheny College
Meadville, PA 16335 

[1] When the 39th Regiment, 10th Reserve, P. V. R. C. passed through Baltimore in July 1861, an African-American lad attached himself to it. His service running errands and helping to pitch tents won the soldiers’ approval. They called him ”Baltimore”; he served as the regiment’s mascot until he transferred himself to another outfit probably sometime in 1863.