February 26, 1864

Bristol Station Va.

February 26, 1864

Dear Parents:

Your letter of the 17th informing me of the severe illness of my little sister was received last Sunday. Although at your latest writing, she seemed better, yet I have had fears for the result—I have dreamed several times of the little darling and she has not been out of my mind an hour during the day. I am in painful suspense—is she yet alive—and recovering—or is she sleeping with her baby sisters in the Church Yard?
                Here disease is so fatal to children, but then she is older than her sisters were when they died, which may be in her favor. The crisis must be passed by this time—may Heaven grant that she still lives to gladden the hearts of her brothers and sister, and to comfort you in the evening of life.
                You stated in your letter that if she seemed worse you would drop me a note by the southern mail—I have not received such intelligence which adds to my hope for her recovery. I await a letter from you in anxiety.
                There is nothing of importance transpiring here—Veterans are going home and returning daily by the thousands. The 4th Cavalry are waiting until the 10th N. Y. returns which will be soon—they expect to go then.
                We do not expect to be discharged until July 21st.
                Hoping for the health and safety of you all, I am,
                                                Affectionately yours,

J. D. Chadwick

I will send Clara a paper with pictures soon—tell her so.

J. D. C.

Next posting: March 2, 2014

Jonathan E. Helmreich
College Historian
Allegheny College
Meadville, PA 16335