March 2, 1864

Bristol Station Va.

March 2nd, 1864

Dear Father,

Your welcome letter dated February 22 was received last Sunday. To hear that my little sister is convalescent relieved my anxiety in a measure, but I dread the measles setting in, or a relapse. Knowing that she will have every care and attention that can possibly be bestowed, I hope for her speedy recovery.
                I am glad that the quota of Venango County and especially Rockland has been raised, thereby avoiding the draft. Taking a pecuniary view of the matter I presume the most of those who went from Rockland could not have done better. They will make more money that [than] they would have done in the same length of time in Rockland. I wonder what Regiment they are going to join, but I suppose you do not know. That profound “Secret” which you divulged to me in your letter, was not a secret to me—as I had heard of it before, both directly and indirectly. I hope Mr. C. is worthy of the one of his choice, for she is certainly a good girl.
                We have been under marching orders for the past three or four days, but as it has been raining for the last twenty-four hours we will not be apt to leave our present situation for some time. March is a rough blustering month here in Virginia and the roads are generally in bad condition. It is rumored that our Calvary is making an extensive raid through Virginia, but I will not vouch for the truth of the statement. We will know in a few days. The Rockland boys are well. Jo Ross has excellent quarters and good health. Tommy is still assisting Harry Clover at Genl. Crawford’s Head Quarters. He deals out the forage to the public animals. Jess Pryer is with the Regiment, he will be promoted to Orderly Sergeant soon I expect. Captain Over has been promoted to Major and Bill Patton of Emlenton, who has been Orderly Sergeant is to be the Captain of the Cavalry. Patton is promoted over Coop Cochran on account of the misconduct of the latter. He wants to resign and get away from the Army if he can, and in case he succeeds Jess Pryer may get a commission.
                What is Frank and Miles intending to do next Summer? Do they expect to go to school some place? If Frank had improved his privileges last Summer, and obtained a little knowledge of business transactions and learned to write a legible had I could have obtained a position in the Army for him at $75. per round”. I regret exceedingly that he is not qualified to fill such a post. But we must all learn by experience.
                As my time draws to a close I look ahead and ask myself what is the best thing I can do. I have not come to a positive determination. My pet scheme has been to become a good lawyer and conveyancer  if application, study and firm determination can accomplish it.[1] I have had the advantage of old heads on the subject and all commend my intention. I am now old enough to “set up” for myself if I was prepared to do so. What advise do you and Ma have to give? I never expect to be so old but that I can safely go to “Pa and Ma” for advice. I could be admitted to the Bar in two years time easily. What shall I do? I shall look for a long letter from you both in which shall be given your views on the subject at large. I think of nothing more at present. That kind Heaven may have you all in safe-keeping, is the wish of
                                Your affectionate son

J. D. Chadwick

Next posting:  March 18, 2014

Jonathan E. Helmreich
College Historian
Allegheny College
Meadville, PA 16335

[1] A conveyancer is someone who facilitates transfer of property titles.