April 28, 1864

Bristoe Station Va.

April 28, 1864 

Dear Parents, 

I wrote to you last night, a long letter, but as you desired to hear from me often I will write a few lines tonight. The sun is slowly sinking behind the distant mountains, and the air is cold and chilly. For the past three hours General Burnside’s command, the 9th Corps has been coming in and camping on the plain a short distance  from us. His command is estimated at from 35,000 to 50,000—perhaps the latter figure is about correct. He has several Regiments of Colored troops. I do not know whether we will move in the morning or not.  Burnside will not get to Culpeper before Saturday night as it is a two days’ march from here. We may start for the front in the morning. I do not think a general engagement will come off for three or four days. It will take the best part of that time to get to the Rapidan if we move right away. The roads are in good condition and the weather promised to be favorable for some time to come. The future will develop startling news—and that before many days.
                It is rumored that Genl. Lee is moving his camp. If he is not now he will soon be compelled to, in my opinion.  How can the force that is concentrating at this point be beaten? We have had several reverses this Spring already, but they will be counterbalanced soon. Gold will not command such a high price in a few days—is my prediction.
                In my last night’s letter I asked for an explanation of your two last letters in regard to your sales. How has Miles got—you did not mention anything concerning him in your last. His hydrophobia was all in Ma’s imagination, was it not? Is little Mary’s hearing permanently injured by her sickness?  I think the Scarlet fever injured mine for a time if I recollect alright. What has become of Mary and Celestia? I have not heard from them for a long time. Evrill is yet in the Hospital near Alexandria. He will escape the coming campaign. I think of nothing more to write—I will add a line in the morning if I have any news of importance or interest to you. Don’t forget those photographs—I will keep dunning you until I get them.
                Hoping that I may sit with you and the rest of the family, around the frugal board at home before three months, and for your health and safety,
                                                                I am as ever
                                                                                Your dutiful Son

J. D. Chadwick 

Next posting:  April 29, 2014

Jonathan E. Helmreich
College Historian
Allegheny College
Meadville, PA 16335