HEERF II (CRRSAA) Grant – Frequently Asked Questions for Students

Allegheny College received three grants in support of student financial aid from the Department of Education’s Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF). These FAQs focus on the second HEERF grant (HEERF II) that we received in support of student aid through the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA), which totaled $871,541.

How was it determined who received a grant and how much?

To be eligible for an emergency grant for this additional round of funding, as of April 1st students must be eligible for Title IV federal financial aid, as demonstrated by filing a valid Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2020-21 academic year, be enrolled for the Spring 2021 semester, AND demonstrate financial need either through the FAFSA’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and/or their student loan debt.

How do I know if I will receive a grant?

Students who met eligibility received an email directly from the Financial Services Office.

How will I receive the funds?

All eligible students identified will receive a HEERF grant without needing to complete an application. However, by April 7th, 2021 students should elect via the Student HEERF Award Option to Receive Funds agreement on Self-Service to have their grant applied to their outstanding balance or issued as a check. We are unable to accommodate Direct Deposit at this time, so all checks will be in the form of a paper check to your home address.

When will I receive the funds?

Funds will be disbursed to accounts and the first round of checks will begin to be issued the week of April 12th.

Can I use the grant to pay a student loan lender?

If a student wishes to use the money to pay an outside lender, they should choose to receive the money directly (select decline on the Student HEERF Award Option to Receive Funds agreement on Self-Service), and then send the payment to your lender.

If I choose to receive a check, where will it be sent?

All checks will be sent to the student’s address on file. We are unable to take other requests for check disbursement.

Who can I talk with about appealing eligibility?

There will not be a process to appeal eligibility for this grant.

I have some questions about the process and grants – who can I contact?

For questions about disbursement of checks, please contact the Financial Services Office at finsrv@allegheny.edu.

For information about other sources of funding available to students, please refer to the Gator Success Grants website.