On Saturday, April 30, the judges of the 2022 Zingale Big Idea Competition crowned 10 winners including Edible Roots, a social purpose venture seeking to create green spaces and community gardens in urban settings and Blue Ciel, an importer of Mongolian cashmere. This year’s winners shared a total prize pool of $32,000.
“This year’s pool of entrants could be the most interesting and diverse in the competition’s history,” said Chris Allison, Co-Director of Allegheny College’s Bruce R. Thompson Center for Business & Economics. “And for the first time, we had more social venture ideas than for-profit enterprises,” he added.
Here is a list of the winners:
|Mariah Nablo||Edible Roots||Urban Green Space Developer|
|Binderiya Batsaikhan||Blue Ciel||Cashmere Importer|
|Funda Eskalen||Conmigo||College Social Networking|
|Rutendo Mavunga||Batanai||Women’s Health In Zimbabwe|
|Samone Brosier||O’Day’s Relief||Free Credit Counseling|
|Arigun Bayaraa||Campus Carpool||College Ridesharing|
|Dakchyata Thapa||Campus Carpool||College Ridesharing|
|Riley Sawyer||Campus Carpool||College Ridesharing|
|Alexander Lawson||Transamerica Partnership||Job Placement For Central Americans|
|Andrew Strobel||Transamerica Partnership||Job Placement For Central Americans|
|Lucia Jueguen||Transamerica Partnership||Job Placement For Central Americans|
|Meadville Community Track|
|Shannon Gilmore||Meadville Bed Bug Task Force||Bed Bug Remediation|
|Abigail Marshall||Meadville Bed Bug Task Force||Bed Bug Remediation|
|John Walton||Angel Animal Haven, Inc.||Pet Pantry & Shelter|
|Next Big Idea|
|Tergel Buyanbat||Food For Thought||Healthy Eating Awareness|
This year’s judges included:
- Lisa Frankovitch, CEO, Uplogix;
- John Golden, Associate Professor of Economics, Allegheny College;
- Andrew Gottlieb ’11, CEO, No Typical Moments;
- Liana Leja ’17, Clinical Research Coordinator, Paley Orthopedic & Spine Institute;
- Rich McIntyre ’88, President, McIntyre, Thanasides, Bringgold, Elliott, Grimaldi, Guito & Matthews, P.A.;
- Clayton Morris ’15, Vice President of Development and Leasing, Sampson Morris Group;
- Byron Rich, Director of Academic Innovation Partnerships, Allegheny College;
- Rob Smith ’73, Executive Chairman, Acutec Precision Aerospace;
- Andy Walker ’00, Executive Director, Allegheny Office of Economic, Civic and Community Engagement;
- Christian D. Walker ’20, Social Media Marketing Manager, Bitski;
- Lance Zingale ’77, Executive Vice President & General Manager, Sykes Enterprises (retired).
The Zingale Big Idea Competition is a student-focused seed-funding business pitch presentation competition. It is designed for new business ideas, which have yet-to-receive funding. This contest emulates the experiences seen on the popular CNBC broadcast, Shark Tank, but with a heart.