Rutendo Mavunga ’24 Encourages Students to Take Advantage of Internships with Rotational Programming

Rutendo Mavunga '24 during her internship at Ernst and Young
Rutendo Mavunga ’24 during her internship at Ernst and Young

Rutendo Mavunga ’24 is an international student from Zimbabwe majoring in Economics with a French minor. During the summer, she returned to Ernst & Young,  an internationally esteemed Big 4 company for the second summer. During her internship she served as a Financial Services Business Consultant.

We asked Rutendo….

How did you find your internship?

I found this internship through Handshake and the support of Career Education, a service that I recommend that every student utilize during their time at Allegheny College.

What were your duties?

I found my internship thoroughly engaging, rigorous and insightful based on the various engagements that I conducted that allowed me to gain a greater appreciation of the financial services sector as a business consultant. My key responsibilities included conducting financial analysis, strategic planning, and risk management. I was involved in identifying business process improvements, performing market research, and supporting potential M&A activities. Ensuring regulatory compliance, financial modeling, and client communication were three essential aspects of this role. Additionally, I engaged in project management, data analysis, and business development efforts, while continuously participating in training to enhance my skills and contribute to the success and growth of the company.

Would you recommend this internship to other students?

I would recommend this internship to fellow students who have an interest in the financial sector and are willing and eager to explore various roles that could follow. For those students who are still not sure what they would want to do, I recommend exploring the launch internships facilitated by EY, or any other internships that have a rotational program that will allow them to explore what they want to do long term.

Rutendo Mavunga ’24 is a CBE Fellow, a resident advisor and the President of the Allegheny College Model United Nations Society.  She is also a non-profit entrepreneur, and the business plan for her company, Batanai, is a two-time winner of the Zingale Big Idea Competition.

The Bruce R. Thompson Center for Business and Economics (CBE) prepares Allegheny College students to succeed in a diverse, global economy.