The Global Citizen Scholars Program attracts highly curious, motivated, and engaged students from broad and diverse backgrounds. Current GCS cohorts include students from different regions of the United States, as well as students from Mongolia, Egypt, Japan, Kazakhstan, the United Kingdom, Japan, Indonesia, Sudan, and Kenya.
Up to 20 students in each cohort investigate a topic through the lens of a relevant global theme and/or world region. Programming integrates work in these three areas as its basis:
- civic engagement
- global learning
- U.S. diversity
Faculty combine coursework with a range of high-impact experiences and intensive advising.These areas combine very powerfully to inform a global and committed citizenry who can think outside the box, as it encourages students to engage in diverse communities and cultures — not as passive observers, but as mindful participants — and asks students to make sense of their itinerary along the way.
As a part of this leadership program, each student commits to civic engagement, diversity initiatives, and study abroad. Over the course of the program, Global Citizen Scholars acquire the skills and competencies to make sensible and sensitive decisions with contextual understanding, and to collaborate and produce results both individually and as a group.
- Work with close-knit group of like-minded students
- Benefit from close advising and guidance of instructors.
- Develop leadership, presentation, and communication skills
- Expenses paid toward group retreats and off-campus immersion experiences
- Up to $2,000 toward abroad experience(s)
- Overnight orientation with other GCS cohorts
- Fall semester topic-appropriate First-Year Seminar
- Introduction to Global Citizen Scholars one-credit discussion seminar
- Two-credit GCS course beginning the spring of the first year
- One year of civic engagement in the Meadville community
- Two semesters of language study at Allegheny
- An abroad experience
- Involvement in diversity and social justice programming
- An integrative culminating experience