- Enhanced understanding—from scientific, social, and humanities perspectives—of the environment and current environmental issues.
- Experience in solving actual environmental problems.
- Ability to use modern research methods to explain observations about the natural world and about societies.
- A network of alumni in government, industry, and the academic world linking students to jobs and graduate programs.
- Numerous opportunities for experiential learning in nearby natural environments: wetlands, lakes, streams, and forests, including a College-owned research reserve.
- Extensive internship opportunities with local, state, and federal agencies, nonprofit environmental organizations, and local industry.
- Vigorous off-campus study programs in Costa Rica, India, Kenya, Israel, Ecuador and elsewhere.
- Emphasis on independent research.
- Required Senior Project that demonstrates to employers and graduate schools the ability to complete a major independent research project.
- One of the oldest environmental science departments in the country (established in 1972).
- Faculty who involve students in local, state, national and international environmental issues and research.
- A NASA New Investigator Award supports the study of the influences of El Niño climatic events in Philippine farming systems and forest use.
- The Center for Economic and Environmental Development (CEED) and Creek Connections recently received Governor’s Awards for Environmental Excellence.
- Recent awards from the National Science Foundation support student-faculty research on forest and aquatic ecosystems.
- Grants totaling $1.3 million from the Heinz Endowment, Mellon Foundation, Eden Hall Foundation, Luce Foundation, and others support the College’s commitment to sustainable community development and improved environmental quality in northwestern Pennsylvania.
- Three faculty members recently received prestigious Fulbright Scholar Awards.
- Since 1996, nine of our students have received prestigious Udall Scholarships for environmental leadership.