Title: Assistant Professor of Religious Studies and Director of Jewish Life
Department: Philosophy & Religious Studies; Spiritual & Religious Life
Degrees: B.A., Stony Brook University; M.A., Duke University; PhD., Duke University
Phone: (814) 332-2879
Box #: 8
Office Location: Oddfellows 118
Office Hours: SPRING 2021 (ONLINE via Zoom HERE)
Tuesday 2:00-4:00 pm; Wednesday 10:00-12:00 pm
Courses (SP ’21)
RELST 147 – Judaism
ENVSC/RELST 372.M0 – Judaism, Justice, and Food
Areas of Specialization: History of Religion in the U.S., Modern Judaism, Religion and Food
Areas of Teaching Competence: Jewish Studies, American Religious History, Religion and Culture, Religion and Food, Religion and Ecology, Religion and Animals.
Current Work: Religious Responses to Industrial Food, Jewish Communal Farms Movement
- Krone, Adrienne. “Growing Food: Ecological Ethics in the Jewish Community Farming Movement,” in Feasting and Fasting: The History and Ethics of Jewish Food, edited by Aaron Gross, Jody Myers, and Jordan Rosenblum, 273-286. New York: NYU Press, 2019.
- Krone, Adrienne. “Opening the Tent: Jewish Veganism as an Expression of an Ecological Form of Judaism.” In Jewish Veganism and Vegetarianism, edited by Jacob Labendz and Shmuly Yanklowitz, 117-130. Albany: SUNY Press, 2019.
- Krone, Adrienne. “In the Weeds.” AJS Perspectives Fall 2018: 42-43.
- Krone, Adrienne. “A Shmita Manifesto”: A Radical Sabbatical Approach to Jewish Food Reform in the United States. Scripta Instituti Donneriani Aboensis 26 (2015): 303-25.
- Krone, Adrienne, review of Religion, Food & Eating in North America, Edited by Benjamin E. Zeller, Marie W. Dallam, Reid L. Neilson, & Nora L. Rubel, Practical Matters 8 (2015). http://practicalmattersjournal.org/2015/03/01/religion-food-eating-review/.
- Entries on “Augusta Evans Wilson,” “Bread for the World,” “Eliza Agnew,” “Helen Gates Starr,” “Katherine Womeldorf Paterson” and “YWCA” in Encyclopedia of Christianity in the United States (forthcoming).
Recent Conference Presentations
- “Farming for the Future”: Jewish Farmers in Southern New Jersey Take on Climate Change, Annual Conference of the Association of Jewish Studies 2019 (San Diego, CA)
- Roots in the Past, Seeds for the Future: A Revived Historical Jewish Community Farm in New Jersey Takes on Climate Change, American Academy of Religion Annual Meeting 2019 (San Diego, CA)
- Cultivation through Collaboration and Conservation: Gender and Power in Jewish Community Farming Spaces, American Academy of Religion Annual Meeting 2019 (San Diego, CA)
- Ruptured Roots: The Role of Communal Memory and Ancient Texts in the Contemporary Jewish Community Farming Movement, 2nd Global Conference on Food, Heritage, and Community 2019 (Prague, Czech Republic)
- Taking Students into the Field(s): Teaching Jewish Environmental Ethics Through Co-Curricular Programs, Society of Jewish Ethics Annual Meeting 2019 (Louisville, KY)
- Feminism in the Fields: Gender Dynamics in the Jewish Community Farming Movement, Society of Jewish Ethics Annual Meeting 2018 (Portland, OR)
- The Birds, the Bees, and the Jews: Human-Animal Relations in the Jewish Community Farming Movement, Annual Conference of the Association of Jewish Studies 2017 (Washington DC)
- In the Heschel Archives: Material Culture and the Study of Jewish Social Justice Engagement (Panel Organizer, Discussant), Annual Conference of the Association of Jewish Studies 2017 (Washington DC)
- Humans and the Humble Bees: Bee-Human Relations, Rituals, and Sacred Spaces at Shoresh Jewish Environmental Programs, American Academy of Religion Annual Meeting 2017 (Boston, MA)
- The Lure of a Land-Based Utopia: Jewish Agricultural Settlements in Nineteenth-Century North Dakota and Today, American Academy of Religion Annual Meeting 2017 (Boston, MA)
- Jewish Community Farming in the Context of the Urban Food Justice Movement, Collaboration with Student Research Assistants, Hazon Jewish Food Conference 2017 (Falls Village, CT)
- “Living with a Light Footprint on the Earth”: Jewish Veganism and Jewish Ecologies on Jewish Community Farms, Society of Jewish Ethics Annual Meeting 2017 (New Orleans, LA)