Title : Professor of Philosophy
Degrees: B.A., Carleton University (1987); M.A., Ph.D. University of California, San Diego (1991)
Phone: (814) 333-2538
Office Location: Odd Fellows 121
Office Hours: FALL 2020
Mondays- 1:30-3:00 virtual (online) and at Oddfellows 121
Tuesdays- 1:30-3:00 virtual only, not at Oddfellows 121
Wednesdays- 1:30-3:00 virtual and at Oddfellows 121
Thursdays- 9:00-10:30 virtual only, not at Oddfellows 121
Fridays- 10-11:00 virtual only, not at Oddfellows 121
Appointments are not necessary, but appointments will supersede drop-ins.
Office hours will proceed in 20 minute blocks that you may sign up for by viewing and booking on my calendar:
If you have checked and no appointments are scheduled, then you may schedule or try to drop in.
Further details: https://tinyurl.com/
Courses (FA ’20):
PHIL 101.32 – Academic Discourse I
PHIL 130 – Values & Knowledge
- Applied ethical theory, with focus on globalization, development, multinational business, international law and human rights.
- History of Philosophy: Early Modern, especially Descartes: 1580-1650; Voltaire & French Philosophy: 1730-89.
- Philosophy and History of Science: Scientific Methodology, Especially Astronomy and Physics, 1500-1650; Explanation and Physico-Theology, 1675-1750.
- President, International Development Ethics Association [developmentethics.org]
- Co-Editor (with Christine Koggel) of Journal of Global Ethics [http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rjge20/current]
- Social-ethical consequences of excessive microlending, payday lending and mobile cash, especially in India and USA
- Rise and fall of divine teleology in scientific explanations in the 17th-18th centuries
- Cultural history of Europe, 17th-18th centuries
- National Endowment for Humanities Institutes, co-directed with Fred Gifford. June-July 2015: “Development Ethics and Global Justice: Gender, Economics and Environment,” July-August 2013: “Development Ethics: Questions, Challenges, Responsibilities”. Information: [http://nehphl.web2.cal.msu.edu/]
- Philpapers.org (Philosophy of science and history of philosophy) [http://philpapers.org/profile/30723]
- Social Science Research Network (Global, Development, and Business ethics) [http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=760150]
Journal of Global Ethics Special Issue: Reconciliation, Transitional and Indigenous Justice. Krushil Watene & Eric Palmer, eds. 14:2, 2018. [https://www.tandfonline.com/
- Eric Palmer (ed.) Gender Justice (vol. 2): Vulnerability and Empowerment. Routledge, 2014. (Content from guest-edited issue, Journal of Global Ethics 9:3.) http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17449626.2015.1021091#abstract
- Voltaire. Candide, or, All for the Best. Broadview Press, Peterborough & New York. Sept. 2009. (Editor: introduction, supplementary readings, translation)https://books.google.com/books/about/Candide.html?id=1A0WO7Od0HAC
- “USA and Canada: high income maldevelopment.” Handbook of Development Ethics. Jay Drydyk & Lori Keleher (eds.), New York: Routledge, 2018.
- “What is development?” Ethics, Agency, and Democracy in Global Development. Lori Keleher & Stacy Kosko, eds. Cambridge University Press, [anticipated date 2017].
- “Less Radical Enlightenment: A Christian Wing of the French Enlightenment,” in Steffen Ducheyne, ed. Reassessing the Radical Enlightenment. New York: Routledge, 2017.
- “Introduction: the Sustainable Development Goals Forum,” Journal of Global Ethics 11:1 (April 2015) 3-9. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17449626.2015.1021091#abstract
- Essay review: “How to succeed in science while really, really trying: the central European savant in the mid-Seventeenth century.” Review of André Holenstein, Hubert Steinke & Martin Stuber, eds., Scholars in Action: The Practice of Knowledge and the Figure of the Savant in the 18th Century, 2 vols. Leiden & Boston: Brill, 2013. HOPOS: The Journal of the International Society for the History of the Philosophy of Science 5:1 (April, 2015), 167-73. http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/680375?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
- “The Andhra Pradesh Microfinance Crisis and American Payday Lending: Two studies in vulnerability,” Révue Ethique et Economique / Ethics and Economics, Special Issue (2012:2). https://papyrus.bib.umontreal.ca/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1866/9632/Palmer-10(2).pdf
- “The Wisdom in Wood Rot: God in Eighteenth Century Scientific Explanation,” in William H. Krieger, ed. Science at the Frontiers: Perspectives on the History and Philosophy of Science. Lexington Books, 2011. 17-34.