Title : Professor of Philosophy
Degrees: B.A., Carleton University (1987); M.A., Ph.D. University of California, San **Diego (1991)
Phone: (814) 332-2538
Office Location: Odd Fellows 121
Office Hours: Fall 2018
*Not available Aug. 25th-Sept.4th- Please use email
Wednesdays 2:00-4:00 pm (After Sept. 5th)
Tuesdays & Thursdays 11:00-1:00 pm (After Sept. 4th)
Courses (FA ’18):
PHIL 285 Buisness & Management Ethics
PHIL 580 Philosophy Seminar
- Applied ethical theory, with focus on globalization, development, multinational business, international law and human rights.
- History of Philosophy: Early Modern, especially Descartes: 1580-1650; Voltaire & French Philosophy: 1730-89.
- Philosophy and History of Science: Scientific Methodology, Especially Astronomy and Physics, 1500-1650; Explanation and Physico-Theology, 1675-1750.
- President, International Development Ethics Association [developmentethics.org]
- Co-Editor (with Sirkku Hellsten) of Journal of Global Ethics
- Social-ethical consequences of excessive microlending, payday lending and mobile cash, especially in India and USA
- Rise and fall of divine teleology in scientific explanations in the 17th-18th centuries
- Cultural history of Europe, 17th-18th centuries
- National Endowment for Humanities Institutes, co-directed with Fred Gifford. June-July 2015: “Development Ethics and Global Justice: Gender, Economics and Environment,” July-August 2013: “Development Ethics: Questions, Challenges, Responsibilities”. Information: [http://nehphl.web2.cal.msu.edu/]
- Philpapers.org (Philosophy of science and history of philosophy) [http://philpapers.org/profile/30723]
- Social Science Research Network (Global, Development, and Business ethics) [http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=760150]
- Eric Palmer (ed.) Gender Justice (vol. 2): Vulnerability and Empowerment. Routledge, 2014. (Content from guest-edited issue, Journal of Global Ethics 9:3.) http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17449626.2015.1021091#abstract
- Voltaire. Candide, or, All for the Best. Broadview Press, Peterborough & New York. Sept. 2009. (Editor: introduction, supplementary readings, translation) https://www.broadviewpress.com/product.php?productid=955
- “What is development?” Ethics, Agency, and Democracy in Global Development. Lori Keleher & Stacy Kosko, eds. Cambridge University Press, [anticipated date 2017].
- “Less Radical Enlightenment: A Christian Wing of the French Enlightenment,” in Steffen Ducheyne, ed. Reassessing the Radical Enlightenment. New York: Routledge, 2017.
- “Introduction: the Sustainable Development Goals Forum,” Journal of Global Ethics 11:1 (April 2015) 3-9. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17449626.2015.1021091#abstract
- Essay review: “How to succeed in science while really, really trying: the central European savant in the mid-Seventeenth century.” Review of André Holenstein, Hubert Steinke & Martin Stuber, eds., Scholars in Action: The Practice of Knowledge and the Figure of the Savant in the 18th Century, 2 vols. Leiden & Boston: Brill, 2013. HOPOS: The Journal of the International Society for the History of the Philosophy of Science 5:1 (April, 2015), 167-73. http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/680375?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
- “The Andhra Pradesh Microfinance Crisis and American Payday Lending: Two studies in vulnerability,” Révue Ethique et Economique / Ethics and Economics, Special Issue (2012:2). https://papyrus.bib.umontreal.ca/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1866/9632/Palmer-10(2).pdf
- “The Wisdom in Wood Rot: God in Eighteenth Century Scientific Explanation,” in William H. Krieger, ed. Science at the Frontiers: Perspectives on the History and Philosophy of Science. Lexington Books, 2011. 17-34.
- “Real Institutions and Really Legitimate Institutions,” David Mark, ed. The Mystery of Capital and The Construction of Social Reality. Open Court, 2008. 331-347.
- “Real Corporate Responsibility,” International Corporate Responsibility: Exploring the Issues. John Hooker & Peter Madsen, eds. USA: Carnegie Mellon University Press, 2004. 69-84.
- “Entidades corporativas e imperativos categóricos,” Impulso 38, 2004. (Editora UNIMEP: Brazil).
- “Pangloss Identified,” French Studies Bulletin 84, Autumn 2002.
- “Multinational Corporations and Social Contracts,” Journal of Business Ethics 31, 245-58 May 2001.