Finding satisfying work; a balance between work and leisure; enjoying responsibilities and challenges; having positive attitudes about work.
Staff members from Allegheny’s Office of Career Education in The Allegheny Gateway suggest that students:
- Get to know yourself…your interests and passions…explore new ideas and activities
- Register as a member of the Gator Connect–the source for internship and experiential learning opportunities, many of which are Allegheny College specific.
- Visit the office to browse the resources in the Career Education and Health Professions library to explore future options. Learn about possible internships, career paths and/or graduate school programs, as well as study abroad opportunities, service-learning and community service.
- Watch for announcements (fliers, banners, newspaper ads, etc.) and take advantage of a variety of Career Education programs, events and activities.
- Get involved with student organizations to explore interests outside of the classroom and consider taking on leadership roles.
- Create an initial resume using the guides available from Career Education.
- Meet with a career counselor to discuss plans, dreams and goals and how to achieve them! Counselors also facilitate self-assessment inventories such as the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, Self-Directed Search and “card sort,” which are wonderful tools in identifying interests and compatible work environments.
- Network, network, network! Reach out to alumni, take advantage of job shadowing opportunities and pursue internships!
- Visit Career Education/The Allegheny Gateway “early and often!” If we don’t know you, we can’t help you! And don’t wait to be great—career planning is an ongoing process that should take place during all four years of college.
Contact the Career Education team to discuss related talks, workshops or other events facilitated by professional staff associated with Allegheny College and available for your group.
Jim Fitch, Director of Career Education, 332-2381, The Allegheny Gateway, Pelletier Library
Terri Carr, Associate Director of Career Education, 332-2381, The Allegheny Gateway, Pelletier Library
Kristin Mook, Assistant Director & Pre-Law Advisor of Career Education, 332-2381, The Allegheny Gateway, Pelletier Library
Christina Moreschi, Assistant Director of Career Education, 332-2381, The Allegheny Gateway, Pelletier Library