Exercising, eating a balanced diet, practicing safe driving and medical self-care; avoiding the use of tobacco, drugs and excessive alcohol consumption
At Allegheny, you can:
The following is a selection of related talks, workshops or other events held by professional staff associated with Allegheny College and available for your group at your request.
Jessica Pentz, Assistant Director of Athletics and Recreation, 332-2316:
- “Making WISE decisions about your physical health” – Jessica will present a session that highlights all the different ways to be active as part of the Allegheny College community.
- Jessica is also available to talk about the basics of learning how to get started running.
Sue Plunkett, Director of the Health Center, 332-4355
- Reproductive Health (past titles have been “Sex and Chocolate” or “Sex and Ice Cream” – Sue comes to the residence hall floors to share ice cream or dessert and cover a variety of topics having to do with many aspects of reproductive health and wellness.
Dana DeArment, R.D., (contact Dana via Deb Thaler, Director of the Counseling Center, 332-4368)
- Nutrition and You- Dana talks about aspects of nutrition including metabolism, hunger sources, easy meals, fueling body and mind, and weight control myths.
- Emotional Eating – To eat or not to eat? A talk about the emotional cues that send people running for comfort food
Ashley Kish, Assistant Director of Community Service, 332-5318, ACCEL, Reis Hall
- “Finding peace: Basic yoga principles to center the self.”This program will focus on a few centering principles, simple postures followed by a brief meditation.
- Yoga 101: Simple postures to get you started
- Yoga Remedies: Postures to help you relax