12 Strategies for Motivation That Work!
- Set goals. Be sure they are realistic and achievable. Make them small to start.
- Establish rewards for progress toward your goals.
- Expect set-backs and when they happen, re-direct and renew your energy toward your goals. Don’t give up.
- Use the power of positive thinking and believe in yourself. Overcome discouragement.
- Tell others what you are trying to accomplish and seek support from loved ones.
- Learn to say no to options and distractions that deter you from your goal. Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal.
- Establish routine and regular exercise; meditation, prayer or yoga, even if it is only 15 minutes a day to start. This will help you to cultivate discipline.
- Use positive imagery to help you achieve your goals. Imagine yourself as you will be and feel when your goal is achieved.
- Spend time reflecting or talking to others about what has stopped you from achieving your goals in the past.
- Post reminders and inspirational quotes in prominent places about what you want to achieve.
- Get professional help and support to overcome physical or mental roadblocks (depression and anxiety are just two examples) and to bolster your efforts, no matter how small they may seem.
- Practice extreme self care. Good health is essential to positive thinking and feeling, which will take you a long way toward achieving your goals.
Adapted directly from: a non-referenced article on The Center For Personal and Professional Development’s Home page, Information from Allegheny College’s Office of Residence Life and Allegheny College’s Counseling Center.