What Is A Bonner Service Leader?
Bonner Service Leaders are Allegheny College students committed to working with local agencies in order to meet needs in the Meadville Community. Each Bonner student is placed with a local community organization. Bonner Leaders work to recruit volunteers, develop programs for their site, and provide much-needed support for the agency. It’s a great opportunity to have a service-oriented position that provides students with practical, real-life experience.
Joining the Bonner Service Leader Program as a First Year Student
There are a limited number of Bonner Service Leader positions offered to incoming First Year Students who demonstrate a commitment to service and interest in making service a priority during their Allegheny experience. First Year Bonner Service Leaders’ commitment begins during the first academic school year. Students interested in being considered for a First Year Bonner Service Leader position should apply via the online Bonner Service Leader Application. Selected candidates will receive an interview.
- Serve 300 hours (8-10 hours weekly) with a local community organization during the academic year
- Commit two summers to the program during their college careers: One summer in Meadville at their host site; another summer spent elsewhere in the United States or internationally as a service internship
- Receive paychecks through the College’s work-study or campus employment program during their academic year and local summer commitment
- Participate in a first-year service trip and a second-year exchange with another college or university Bonner Program
- Attend a New Bonner Orientation in August of their first year (in addition to their regular Allegheny orientation) and annual overnight retreat in the fall semester and day of training in the spring semester
- Engage in regular meetings and leadership training throughout the academic years
Bonner Leaders receive:
- Up to $2,500 in work study or campus employment funds for the 300 hours completed during the school year
- Summer stipends during the first summer in Meadville and the 2nd Summer Away
- Summer housing in Meadville on campus, some at a reduced cost
Bonner Scholars receive:
- Same benefits as Bonner Leaders
- A combination of grants, scholarships, and loans to meet total documented financial need based on the FAFSA, for your college education