We are thankful for our existing employer partnerships!
Allegheny College prepares young adults for successful, meaningful lives by promoting students’ intellectual, moral, and social development and encouraging personal and civic responsibility.
The mission of the Center for Career and Professional Development is to prepare students for meaningful lives and support alumni experiencing career transitions. We do this by leading and leveraging career development programs, resources, and opportunities, while collaborating within an ecosystem of alumni, colleagues and employers
Post an Internship or Job using Handshake
Employers are encouraged to leverage the Handshake network to post opportunities specifically at Allegheny College. Alumni with hiring responsibility and/or referral capacity are welcome to post internships and jobs. All known alumni are granted a system label indicating their Allegheny College connection.
Please review the Recruiting Policies section before proceeding with posting an internship or job. Additional helpful information is available in the Handshake Help Center.
If you have an existing account with Handshake, connect with us by clicking on “Schools” on the left-hand menu bar. Click the “Find Schools” tab on the upper right-hand side. Then type “Allegheny College” in the search bar to connect with us.
Register a Handshake Account
- Handshake will send a verification email to the email provided. Verify the account by clicking “Confirm Email” upon receiving it (check spam if you do not see it).
- If your company already exists in Handshake, a prompt will guide you to connect with your organization. You can also use a search bar to find your company, or click the “Create New Company” button.
- Locate “Allegheny College” and click the “+” to connect with us to Hire a Gator!
- Next, your connection will be reviewed by career center staff. Once reviewed, a confirmation email will be sent.
Posting on Handshake
- Be sure to have already set up a Handshake account.
- Click “Post a Job” on your home page in Handshake. Complete all fields regarding job basics, details, and preferences.
- Add schools on the left side of the page. Click the “+” next to “Allegheny College” to add us and Hire a Gator!
- Select “Create” on the bottom navigation to create and review the posting.
- Next, the posting will be reviewed by career center staff. Once reviewed, a confirmation email will be sent.
In the spirit of maintaining integrity, promoting effective communications, and cultivating an environment focused on student learning, the Center for Career and Professional Development follows standards by which all recruiting efforts must adhere:
It is important that employers be transparent in their communications with students and the greater Allegheny College community. Information provided through employer recruiting accounts, internship or job postings, application procedures, job offers, professional websites, email or other exchanges, and promotional efforts should be accurate and complete. This helps maintain a good candidate experience and positive relationship with the College.
Provide the following:
- As much information as possible to help students, alumni and staff research and learn about organizations and opportunities.
- Professional websites, matching email addresses and phone numbers to organizations (avoid toll-free numbers), and physical addresses that are easy to verify (avoid PO Box addresses).
- Complete descriptions of each internship or job opportunity. Be sure to post descriptions for each recruiting opportunity advertised.
The U.S. Department of Justice requires employers to comply with all applicable equal employment opportunity laws, including the anti-discrimination provision of the Immigration and Naturalization Act. More information can be found on the Department of Justice website. Namely, the U.S. Department of Justice prohibits:
- Any posting that requires U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residence in the U.S. as a condition of employment, unless otherwise required in order to comply with law, regulation, executive order, or government contract.
- Any job requirement or criterion in connection with a job posting that discriminates on the basis of citizenship status or natural origin.
All NACE Principles for Professional Practice must be followed, including non-discrimination and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission hiring practices.
Third-party agencies such as recruiting agencies, staffing agencies, and executive search firms are granted access to post jobs if they adhere to the following policies:
- The name of the hiring agency and client/employer must be clearly stated in the job title and description.
- The job posting is an internal position within the agency.
All postings must be tied directly to an employer. Postings from resume referral firms or independent websites designed for the collection of resumes on behalf of a larger number of employers are not permissible.
Federal law requires payment of interns unless the internship satisfies the criteria outlined by the U.S. Department of Labor. Allegheny College cannot determine whether any internship satisfies the Department of Labor criteria; however, the Center for Career and Professional Development works to ensure that students are provided with quality internships. All employer partners are to abide by the Department of Labor criteria established in the FLSA. Additionally, internships should meet NACE criteria.
If someone must pay to purchase access for opportunities or if there is a position that requires a potential employee to provide funds to a company representative for services, such postings are not permitted.
- Independent contract and positions structured with base pay plus commission are permissible. Compensation details of such positions must be stated clearly in job descriptions.
- Part-time positions are permissible if they are paid (at least minimum wage), have a clear supervisory and performance structure, contain a description of expectations that align with a college student’s career development, and do not require someone to purchase supplies upfront.
Applicants shall be given a reasonable time period to respond to internship and job offers. Please contact us if you have questions on how to approach these.
The Center for Career and Professional Development at Allegheny College reserves the right to accept, deny and/or remove access rights for organizations that do not meet the above standards or that are deemed to be misaligned with the mission of the College.